Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Uhaul Ruins Tibs Rear Struts

Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you were pulling a heavily-loaded 5x8 and that's what did in your struts? I guess too much at the front would indeed place strain on them.

The one I'm thinking about is more like 3.5x4, and only 110lbs. The aerodynamic "sport" trailer from Uhaul is basicaly the same size but weighs over 500lbs! I know they need it to be durable, but good grief. But I could easily modify this trailer to carry three bikes and my narrow cartop carrier at once. Right now I can only squeeze two bikes and the carrier on my roof.

Did you notice a lot more strain on your engine when pulling an empty or lightly-loaded trailer? I'm very curious about which is cheaper gaswise: two bikes and a carrier mounted to my roof, or the same on a 110lb trailer and 35lb hitch installed.

You're honestly the only person I know of that has put a trailer on a tib. It's funny, because during the Summer in Germany you see tons of small vehicles, even nice sports cars, hauling small trailers for vacation. Over here people just buy a truck or SUV.