Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Uh....What the hell is with that noise?

Old 12-06-2001 | 02:11 AM

Default Uh....What the hell is with that noise?

Hey folks,

I have a question for ya. My brakes squeak like mad most of the time when i'm braking. and last nite i also noticed a tickticktick sorta noise when braking.
Also....alot of the time when i accelerate slowly and then let off the gas, I hear a long highpitched squeal from the car and can't quit pinpoint where it comes from...I think it's the back.
Anyone have this problem before?
Old 12-06-2001 | 02:21 AM

Your brakes come equipped with a "Squeeler" on the pad. This is to let you know that your brakes need changing. I would suggest you take it to your dealership and have them look at it. If it is making that much noise there might not be much left. If it goes too long you could damage your rotors (disks).

As for the rear noise problem... Not sure about that one bro.
Old 12-06-2001 | 02:27 AM

It better not be my brakes that need changing
the car is a year old that's it.
Old 12-06-2001 | 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

just one pad can go bad, or be bad from the factory that can cause that noise. You can also get a rock wedged between the pad and rotor to cause problems as well.

It does sound like your brakes are trying to tell you something. LIGHTLY lift up/drag the emergency brake when coasting to see if the noise is rear brakes. If not try lightly applying the brake pedal. If the noise gets worse or goes away, you know it is brakes...if not...it might be a belt squeeling.
Old 12-08-2001 | 01:52 AM

What is the average life span of brakes? I've had my car for a little less than 1.5 years and it only just reached 31000K. Also,What the usual damage in fxing that? (ie:$$$)
Old 12-08-2001 | 03:15 AM

brake pads arn't that bad probably 30-60 bucks for one(back brakes are cheaper because there smaller than the front brakes)if your rotors are damaged its going to be pretty exspencive 150-up bucks(once again back rotors are smaller and are cheaper)i paid $165.00 dollars for one rear rotor!
Old 12-08-2001 | 05:03 AM

Already then...I guess I'll have to jump on it ASAP!!!!
Thankfully my gf's brother is a mechanic smile.gif
Old 12-08-2001 | 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT

i changed my brakepads maybe 2 months ago, the pads cost me 20 bucks at autozone and they're squeeling again which leads me to believe my rotors are warped, instead of buying new ones im gonna get the machined i thinkthat should solve the problem