Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tire/ Suspension Help!

Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, I need some opinions on what I should do and the order I should do it in. I went down this morning to rotate my tires and found some very ugly wear on 3 of the 4 tires. All the wear is on the inside, none on the outside, which is why I havent noticed it. Here is one of my questions:

If most of the tires are wearing on the INSIDE, then is this more of a suspension issue (blown struts, sagging springs) or an alignment issue? The car has been tracking just fine, no real road noise till about 4 weeks ago. Ive been so busy, I havent gotten around to loooking at the tires until today.

Second question: What should I do first?!?!?

Two tires definately need replaced, and I'll be replacing them within the next week or so. I will also be getting a 4 wheel alignment once that is done. Do you think I might as well replace the stock struts as well? They do have 86,000 miles on them. Also, if I need to replace the struts, I might as well do the springs as well. I would like a very stiff setup with minimal drop. What do people suggest for this? H&R? Eibach?

Many questions hear and I do appreciate any suggestions people have. Thanks! wink1.gif
Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have negative camber wear which is why your tires are wearing on the inside. you should get your front end check to make sure your balljoints and tie rods do not have play in them. and yes and alignment would be the answer.

If you want to change your struts and get lowering springs now would be the time to do it that way you can get an alignment after everything is done . if you get an alignment and then change your springs and struts later, you're going to need another alignment.. so do it all at once .

i suggest eibach springs..

so first thing you should do is get you're front end checked. next thing is to decide if you want to get struts and springs, after that if you get them, buy the new tires and get an alignment
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 PM

NightShark is correct about the alignemnt, but the problem is that if you get lowering springs you can't really adjust camber on our cars, so you'd need to get camber kits.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

grab some eccentrics made for our cars off ebay. you can also attack the lower strut mount bolt holes with a dremel, and widen them out to give you some free camber. just dont go to far.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:59 PM

Well, the largest amount of wear is with the rear tires. I have subs and amps back there, thats why I thought possibly the extra weight may have something to do with the extra tire wear and/or negative camber. My car does look like the rear end is sitting lower than the front. The left front is also wearing a bit on the inside, but not near as much as the rear tires.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:02 PM

i don't think there is are springs out there for the tib that are aggresive enough to cause camber on our cars especially the eibach. I had B&G springs on before and it was a pretty low drop from 1.8-2" but never had any camber issues at all..
if someone was playing around with your suspension before they probably put the alignment out of wack. i seriously suggest you get the front end and rear checked.. if you're at stock height right now it's not normal to have this much uneven wear on your tires
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM

My old intrax had my alignment just on the edge of the norms, which is still not good. Eibachs were a little easier, but still not perfect.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM

it may have caused a pull or something but i've never had any camber issues
Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 PM

No one has messed with the suspension since I have owned the car. I bought the car with 17,000. it now has 86,000. I think this is my plan. 2 new tires to replace ruined ones. Have the front and rear ended checked out and full alignment. If I can hold off on springs and struts until this summer, I would rather do that. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:37 PM

IF your car is at stock ride height and you are running heavy subs and stuff in the back enough to make it appear lower.. then the rear wheels are experiencing some negative Camber. Most strut based suspensions do this to keep the wheels as level with the ground as they can when cornering.