Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tire size Vs. Cornering capability

Old 08-17-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1000hp RD2

Supry,thanks!! That's great info.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers

Hi, I can tell you from my own experience (I used to drive an Elantra with H&R springs + KYB's; and I currently own an Elantra with Eibach springs + OEM new shocks --wife's car-- and I drive a Tib with H&R springs + KYB's + Whiteline Sway Bars).

Eibachs lower the car less on the front, but the difference is like 1 centimeter (0.4 inch) it's really not such a big deal. Also as Eibach lowers the rear as much as the front, the final look is not as agressive as when your front is slightly lower that the rear.
Eibachs are definetely SOFTER that H&R's, they are way better that the OEM springs, but they are not really tight. H&R are firmer, they definitely give you better cornering abilities and you feel in better control of the car.
As for shocks, do what ever you want, but DO NOT stick to the OEM shocks, those are probably the WORSE part of a Hyundai, too soft, don't control bounce at all.
When I installed the Eibachs here, I didn't had the chance of getting any shocks other than the OEM, and I DON'T recomend that, the rear part of the Elantra is now bouncy, not like it's too hard, but on the opposite, it's like "plush" bouncy. I supose Eibach shocks are very good and the spring-shock combo should perform good, but they are pricey. KYB's are gas shocks and that alone is a huge improvement over OEM shocks. KYB's have a compression rate similar to the OEM's (maybe 20% firmer) but it's the expansion rate (close to 100% stronger than OEM's) what gives you the improvement, because your tires return to contact with the pavement a lot faster.
So, if you want to retain comfort over performance gains, but still want to improve your suspension, go with Eibachs and KYB shocks. If you don't mind to loose a little (and it's really only a little) comfort in favor of better cornering, then you should go with H&R's and KYB shocks.
Sway bars help, but, if you don't feel like spending all that money, start with the spring-shock combo and buy poly bushings for your sway bars, you will get like 40% improvement with like 15% investment comparing OEM sway bar and bushings vs. aftermarket sway bars and poly bushings (all aftermarket sway bars come with poly bushings).
I hope that helps you taking your decission... :twisted: or makes it even more difficult for ya! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif