Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

thinking this goes here....

Old 06-07-2001 | 11:33 PM

Default thinking this goes here....

I heard awhile ago that there is some kind of solution that pro detailers use for cleaning wheels. I have stock on mine and I wanted to know what the best stuff to use was. I've tried a million brands and it only seems to last about a day or so before they are black again. Does anybody know what is in that mix that the detailers use and how much of each I need to mix? Or does anybody have any suggestions of products that work really good? Thx
Old 06-08-2001 | 03:18 AM

also get some green brake pads- no break dust
Old 06-08-2001 | 06:35 AM

I've found that the best way to get them (stock wheels) clean is a very small amount of elbow grease. Brake dust is really difficult to get off if you're trying to spray it off with a solution and rinsing with a hose. But for me it comes off very very easily when I just squat down and use a bar mop (white towels commonly used in bars and restaurants) with a mild cleaner (even Windex works just fine) It even comes off pretty easily if I just wipe with no cleaner (just water) for that matter...
Once you get em all clean and sparkly, do as Chris suggested. Put a little wax on em and they'll be easier to clean the next time. Also, if they are getting that black that fast, perhaps you're being a little hard on your brakes. I only really need to clean mine every couple of weeks and even then they're not that dirty.
Maybe mine just magically repel dirt?
Old 06-08-2001 | 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I for sure will try putting wax on 'em after they are cleaned. I haven't heard of that brand but I will see what I can find. I guess to the average car owner, the dust that's on my wheels wouldn't be anything, but every little spec HAS to be removed. wink.gif My shark has to sparkle every day of this world or else it isn't happy wink.gif Hahhaha
Old 06-30-2001 | 06:44 AM

Um, I know I'm kinda late here...but anyway...
I use Simple Green. It's the Sh!t. You just spray it on your rim, and rub it with your finger or a litte wash cloth, rinse it with warm or cool water, and Tah Dah! Very clean, very shiny rims! Just don't let it sit on your rims. You need to wash it off fast, so only do one rim at a time.
There are 2 kinds of Simple Green. The household kind(which a Marine that I used to date reccomended), and Simple Green Automotive. I used up my bottle of Household(which works like a charm), and so yesterday, I bought the Automotive kind. I'm gonna use it today. It was $4.00 out here..
So it should be about the same price where you guys live.
Hope this helped a bit!
Old 06-30-2001 | 11:10 AM

I have used a mixture of citric acid. You can not leave it on for more than 30 secs, but is does great. But it is extremely expensive. I would stay with what ImportRacer2k sugested. Simple Green ROCKS!! It goes on everything and it is generally mild solution. But it removes greese, brake dust, tar and stains out of your upholstry! So try it and it is very very inexpensive.
Old 07-05-2001 | 11:56 PM

I agree with everyone on Simple Green. It works well, although I've found that using the same Turtle Wax car soap gets good results too. I have a special brush just for the wheels ($5 at pep boys, target, wal-mart). It gets in all the crevasses and really does a good job. In the end, there's no substitute for scrubbing.

AC

Oh, and if you want a real pain to clean, try chrome. I used to have chrome wheels and they required constant cleaning to look good. One of the reasons I got rid of them.
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:31 AM

my neighbors dog usualy does the trick, but if you wanna go and blow a couple bucks, i guess that simple green stuff is just as good rolleyes.gif
Old 07-28-2001 | 02:40 PM

GoJo hand cleaner is damn good too!!
(Not the pumice version.. DUH!)

~Late