Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Sway Bar = Fish Tail

Old 09-18-2001, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar = Fish Tail

I love my rear sway bar... the second I started my car moving, it felt much more stable/connected to the road. I can take corners with more confidence than with that whimpy sway bar that comes stock. Dollar for dollar, it was the best mod I have done so far.

BUT... if I take corners TOO tight, just at the threshold, the tail of my car just pulls out and fishtails! Not just a normal fishtail, like a massive one... much different than before I installed this mod. Is my car in need of something else that would make this not happen? The only other suspension/tire alterations I have are a front strut brace and slightly wider than stock 205/50/15 Kumhos...

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: FluteMuffin ]
Old 09-18-2001, 04:57 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

I'm not real sure on this but on my tiby. I have the rear swaybar and rear strut brace. And the only time I feel like the rear end is going to fishtail is when I have to brake extremely hard in a turn. It feels like the rear end is lifting up or something. You may look into getting a rear strut brace. I think Random said they put one on Yam's car. So you may want to check with him on that.
Old 09-18-2001, 05:55 AM

Depends on how you are driving the turn. If you are lifting (letting off the throttle) at the apex of the turn, the weight of the car is transferring forward and the front tires are biting harder. this will cause the oversteer you are experiencing. Try giving it a little more gas through the turn. Don't stomp it or your front tires will break loose and you'll make a nice transition from oversteer to understeer thus plowing straight ahead (and that’s no good either eek.gif ).

the swaybar is an advantage and makes the car more neutral. You just have to play with it. (If it's adjustable, turn it down a notch) Take your car out and experiment a little. I recommend the rear strut tie bar as well, but keep in mind it is further stiffening the rear end...so it could cause it to hang out even more around turns.

Have fun.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys! I had let off the power completley before doing the turn when this happened...

I wish I had a track in my backyard so I could test it out more than you can on public streets... just have to do two minor things for that to happen:

1.) Get a backyard
2.) Get a track

In my dreams
Old 09-19-2001, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Flute-

The problem you are experiencing is due to what MarkHazard described. It put it in a nutshell...weight transfer.

You can fix it suspension wise, by installing...
#1 bigger Front swaybar
#2 stiffer springs (and lower helps too!)
#3 weakening the rear sway bar (if adjustable)
Old 09-19-2001, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

BTW..."Fish Tailing" is nothing but driver overcompensation.

If the back end just started to come around, that is oversteer. Your attempt to counter the oversteer lead to the fishtailing via overcompensation.

In most corners, a slight "tail out" attitude (oversteer) can help you get through the corner with more speed.

The keyword there is SLIGHT! If your back end completly breaks loose...Not the fastest way through the corner!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:25 AM

"The keyword there is SLIGHT! If your back end completly breaks loose...Not the fastest way through the corner! "

...agreed. But it can be the most fun!!
Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by MarkHazard:
[QB...agreed. But it can be the most fun!! [/QB]

I dunno, sliding tail first, off the outside of the track is NOT my idea of fun!

In a jumbo parking lot that is snow covered...then it is fun!
Old 09-19-2001, 04:02 PM

You get snow, Random????????????
Old 09-19-2001, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Canadian Prairie Shark:
You get snow, Random????????????

You fergit. I's origin-naly from MinnAHsnowDUH! I's still heads back to the cuntry 'ta visit kin and folks.

I's goin' bak up nort come November. Is gotta new nef-few ta gander at (and spoil). Plus a cupla frends is getting hitched, and sheeeee-it, she ain't even pregnant!