Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Suspension Recommendation

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

After driving my dad's lowered B+G elantra, I really am getting the feeling that the Tiburon suspension is a little spongy. I don't have crazy money to spend, but what kind of aftermarket suspension would you guys recommend for me?

Desired outcome:
-I want a fairly stiff but rocking ride. Something able to absorb shock well from 17's without sending it to the ass, give me a nice, quick, tight up and down movement without bottoming out. World Rally Cars? Not Catalunya, not San Remo, but Corsica babe CORSICA! That's how I want my suspension to be.
-1.2 inches lowered at max, maybe 1 inch at max.
-Want to be able to reduce swaying!

Facts:
-MD roads suck ass. I don't want to ruin my car, and want to be able to drive in 4-5 inch snow.
-I have a very expensive FG F2 EVO Bumper I paid sweat for.
-My car is 1 cm from knocking into curbs when parked.

Do I just swap out my entire suspension to be able to achieve these desires? Or do I just simply change the struts to something else? Please if you have any experience with any good suspension, please try and apply it to my desires. Eibach Kit? KYB? Quest? B+G anything you can recommend to me.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:26 AM

I recomend getting the Eibach Pro System Plus. Gets you springs, shocks and swaybars. It will lower you 1.2 inches and gives you an amazing handelling experience without sacrificing too much of the regulay daily drivability. I have it on my car and it has been through a winter and the crappy roads here in Burlington Ontario. I am very pleased with the result. If you are trying to save then maybe just getting the springs and rear swaybar. That would do enough.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:15 AM

I second that!^^^ fing02.gif
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM

I you are not going to spend the 1G of the Eibach Pro System Plus, I'd get the KYB GR-2 shocks and try them on OEM springs... I don't know if anyone has tryed that. In my opinion the weakest part of the Tibs suspension is the shock tunning; however; I did change the springs as well, BUT, if you don't want too much lowering, and you have lived with the OEM suspension (I couldn't bare it; that's the fisrst thing I changed, but if you have lived with it so far, my guess is you don't need desperatly a stiffer suspension)...
after doing that, if you feel comfortable with the ride quality, then go for the sway bars.

Again, I have not tried this particular setup, but for someone wanting low to non drop, moderate upgrade in pot absorbing and not a harsh ride, it could work. Oh, and btw, almost every spring combo that I have seen lowers more than it states too, Eibachs lower at least 1,5" almost the same as the H&R combo.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 AM

got kyb's with oem spings on my tib. well it was ok at first but my springs were a little worn out, so all it did was beat the hell out of my new kyb's. If your goin for the kyb's make sure your spring are in good shape. If not get a set of eibach's for on the new kyb's. You'll notice a difference with both more than with one or the other
Old 05-02-2006, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Thanks for the input. so let me get this straight. a shock/strut will absorb impact and the springs will stiffen the movement?

I found a website that sells the Eibach Complete Pro Kit, Anti sway bars, springs, and struts for $800 total. I have to try and remember the name of it. I think it's www.shox.com. Does blacktibs sell them too?

And how different would this be from just replacing the suspension with a coilover suspension? Besides being able to adjust ride height, what would the difference be with coilovers? Quest, Koyo, HR?
I think KYB's are too stiff and low for my setup, I need to be able to pull into my driveway.

I'll provide you with pics of the car with the curb so you can give me some input.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Go through FlyRyde, cause well, ...your ride is fly.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

The KYB struts have nothing to do with lowering your ride height. That will happen if you install aftermarket springs. If you want to retain the stock ride height you might as well forget about any aftermarket springs and stick with the stock ones. You can still play around with the anti-roll bars and struts if you want to improve the handling but it will always come at the cost of ride quality. How much depends on your preferences.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM

^^Ditto
I suggested OEM springs + GR-2 because you DON'T want to lower your car more than an inch (which is nearly impossible because practically any spring for our cars lowers it more than an inch, considerably more). I know why you don't want to do it with your bumper, I wouldn't either.
With better shocks (and note I don't say hardem stronger or even firmer; I mean just better shocks that means a shock that can react faster and a little firmer than OEM; but specially faster) you will gain a car that can copy the road better; with antiroll bars you will avoid body roll on corners.

Usually, the lowering srpings help body roll (avoid body roll I mean) because they are firmer, and because when they lower the car, your center of gravity is lower too, SO, you will have less body roll. The ideal for you would be a firmer spring with the OEM height, but such thing does not exist. So, with OEM springs+sway bars you would be improving your suspension a lot; the compromise would be that a firmer spring would help a lot, but would compromise your ride height which you don't want.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

go with Eibach springs + shocks. 1.2" drop, it's not much, but it's enough to let you feel the difference in handling.