Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Strut Bars maybe fix this problem?

Old 09-08-2001, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Bars maybe fix this problem?

Hey guys (and girls) I'm pretty new to this, and I have wanting a Tib for a while now.. finally got one a couple of months ago.. a 98 FX. I don't really have any mods on it yet, just small things like Racing Pedals, Momo Shifter Knob, Blue Nozzle Lights, Plasma Headlamps, and a K&N Filter. But anyways, my question isn't really about a mod persay.. When I'm driving down a straight road, and I rock the wheel back and forth a couple times, then stop with my hand placed at the 12o'clock position it started from, the car continues to rock left and right for a second after I stop.. It doesn't seem that it's at the wheels, because the steering wheel doesn't pull on me.. it feels like just the body is still swaying back and forth.. I was wondering if this is normal, or what, and if a SR Duraluminum Strut Bar would help this... Thanks for all your guys' and gals' help.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

The 5 Main things you can get to have extreme better handling are:

1) Front Strut Bars
2) Rear Strut Bars
3) Font Underneath Sway Bars
4) Rear Underneath Sway bars
5) Lowering Springs

Not in that order of course. You're free to do it however you want. But by adding these components (either all at once, or little by little) you will see a drastic change in the way your car responds (good way).

Good luck! wink.gif
Old 09-08-2001, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The rocking back and forth that continues after you stop is the springs/struts.

The struts are there to Resist the springs tendencey to occilate (think "boing" "boing" "boing"). If the spring overpowers the strut, you will get occilation like you describe.

Either your struts need to be replaced, or you car has aftermarket springs that are too strong for the stock struts.

The anti-sway bars would help as well, as their main purpose is to stop body roll.

Strut tower braces help keep the body/chassis from flexing and help to keep wheel/suspension geometry the same when you corner.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

Just as a thought - for people , who can't fit a strut tower bar (like if they have a supercharger), would anti-sway bar do the same job, and where can you get them from?

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Zorro ]
Old 09-10-2001, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Anti-Sway bars do a different job than Strut tower Braces.

Anti-Sway bars are there to prevent body roll. Strut tower braces are there to prevent chassis flex and try to preserve steering/alignment geometry.

Of the 2, aftermarket sway bars will make the biggest difference. Eibach makes a set of Sway Bars, as does Whiteline/Selbys. (www.whiteline.com.au)

We could not get a "standard" Strut brace to fit on Yamaneko's Elantra with the supercharger, but I bet with some experimenting with the various brands out there, or "customization" of one of the various front braces...you could get one to work. The problem is the supercharger pulley. The standard brace clears everything else just fine.