Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Stock Rim Size?

Old 08-02-2001 | 11:05 AM

Default Stock Rim Size?

Just wondering if this is the stock rim size of the 2000 Tib: 15X6.5
Just want to know because I am looking to get some rims but use my stock tire because I don't want to spend another $400 on new tires again.
Old 08-02-2001 | 11:09 AM

I was thinking about these rims, what do you guys think smile.gif

Rim Picture

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Draven0214 ]
Old 08-02-2001 | 11:17 AM

I believe they are 15x6.
Old 08-02-2001 | 12:29 PM

Another Question, what offset is better 38mm or 40mm smile.gif
Old 08-02-2001 | 02:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by Draven0214:
Another Question, what offset is better 38mm or 40mm

Do you plan on lowering your car, and how low of a drop do you plan on going?
Old 08-02-2001 | 02:28 PM

Depends on your application. Offset is a measurement of how far away from width center the rim connects to your car. P-Higher positive numbers mean that more of the rim is "sticking in" under the car. Lower positive numbers, or negative numbers (haven't actually seen this, but work with me in theory...they may exist IRL) mean that more of the rim is "sticking out" from under the car. Too large an offset, and the inside edge of your front tires will rub on your chassis when you turn the wheel all the way. Too small an offset, and the tread of your front tires will rub against the edge of your fender.

I'm having a hard time explaining this well without diagrams, so bear with me. If all else fails, just run a search on the BBS for offset, and I'm sure there's some thread in the archive in which Random's done his regular superb job of explaining.

So, to answer your question, there really isn't a "better" or "worse" between the two offsets. Gague the offset you get on how wide the rim you are considering, and how much room you'll have to turn your wheels without rubbing. On average, for most Tib applications, an offset in the neighborhood of +40 will work without problem.
Old 08-02-2001 | 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Negative offset wheels exist in rear wheel drive cars.

Front wheel drive cars need a positive offset. The lower the offset in Front wheels leads to an increase in "torque" or "bump" steering problems. It is worse in fwd cars as the front wheels must steer and drive the car. RWD cars can have a negative offset in back, but usually still have a positive offset in front.

Think of it this way (*over simplification warning*)
Put a wheel on a shaft, all the way out at the end. Now try to change that wheels direction...pretty hard. Now move the wheel closer to the middle of the shaft, and it is easier to change the wheels direction. Negative offset is all the way out at the end of the stick...positive offset is closer to the middle of the stick.