Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Staggered Rims On A Ff Car *read Up*

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:03 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Wow I think I lost a bit of intelligence by reading this thread. You dont understand the reason a FF understeers very well do you? brian01tib has a a better idea for the correction of this understeer problem, but not the best. So are you a physics major or just full of yourself? Also try reading your posts prior to posting... better yet take an english composition class. If you are putting more weight to the back of the car that will only make the understeer worse. The weight on the front helps keep your tires in contact with the track, that is why a FF car is generally nose heavy. As for widening the back up there you have a half way bright idea there.
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Whats a better way of doing it then with keeping stock tire sizes?? Ive talked to alot of people who have raced fwd cars. Also Ive done it myself it works great. It makes the car alot more neutral. O and btw I use like 43 psi in the front and 47 in the rear. Lower psi in the front and the tire rolls under.
Old 07-24-2006 | 01:44 PM

If you want to go with a staggered offset.. go wider on the front. The Pontiac GrandPrix GTP (or whatever the high end is) has wider wheels in the front than the rear for better and more neutral handling.

Part of your post was correct, there is a LOT more going on in the front of a front wheel drive car. There is also a lot more weight. What you are looking at is physics as you say. Here is what happens. When you turn a car, the front wheel slip some as they approach the limits of adheasion. If you try and put the power down at the same time, you overwhelm the availible traction and the wheels slip a lot and inertia takes over, making the car try and go straight. If you put wider wheels in the front, you have more rubber on the ground to promote traction, raising the performance envelope of that end of the car.

Respectfully, the rear now has a (seemingly) lower envelope, so those wheels will slip earlier in comparision to the fronts... enabling neutral or even oversteer.

I hope that made sense.

Personally though, I would not even put wider wheels on the rear of my bimmer.. all it does is make the car understeer.. and that is rear wheel drive.
Old 07-25-2006 | 01:01 AM

lol i feel pretty dumb you guys.... turns out i left my SN signed on to RDtiburon at my friends house... we were having this very convo. agrueing etc.... except i was on the other end... disagreeing with this statment.... However i think he's gonna have the last laugh see how ill never live this post down even though i never actually posted it LOLOL sigh...
Old 07-25-2006 | 07:18 AM

lmao.gif Its not the worst thing someone did while a member forgot to signoff.
Old 07-27-2006 | 03:31 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Hijack....

So, what are the other ways of making our cars more neutral during turns?
Lowering he front more than the rear?

If going for wider tyres on front, you mean lets say, 215 comparing to 205 on the rear, or pleaying with the ofset as well?

Sorry...
Old 07-27-2006 | 06:17 AM

Just run maybe 5 psi more in the rear, and that should do it. But diffrent tires are different so just experiment until you get used to it. Also trail brakeing does miracles, btu to much and you will over steer bad. Ive done to much before and I wentat about a 45 degree angle or so. If tha happens if you are at the apex or around it then just get on the gas some and the rear will stop sliding out.
Old 07-27-2006 | 07:46 AM

Sure you could add or remove air from the tires to get a quick fix. But also the stiffer the rear suspension is the more likely it is to oversteer. For those of us who have added a bigger sway bar to the rear will know what I am talking about.

One of the biggest things that affects the way car handles is the driving style you use. Weight transfer plays a huge part in causing oversteer and understeer. You see rally drivers doing this noticably when you see them set up for a corner. In a left hand turn for example you see a quick right and then a hard left. This causes the weight of the car to snap right quickly causing the rear end to lose traction first. Thus causing the car to rotate though the corner more easily and quickly.

To reduce the understeer, try trail braking into the corners. This keeps the weight forward over the front wheels, giving them more bite on the road surface. Induce a little weight transfer at the same time and watch how quickly the rear rotates. Be careful with this. It requirs a lot of practice and should never be done on the street.
Old 07-27-2006 | 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

that's same shit as dragging. but you'd have to find out how much weight to put in the back so you don't oversteer too much.
Old 07-28-2006 | 03:54 PM

I agree with faith...

I have 215's, sway bars, coilovers (tuned unlike c-block bliktibs), and i have some kick ass tires.

They make the turbo fun =)