Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Staggered Rims On A Ff Car *read Up*

Old 07-23-2006 | 04:40 PM

You know... its funny to me.... people think they know about the laws of physics when it comes to suspension, about how "WEIRD" it is or would be to have wider wheels in the rear of a front wheel drive car.
let me fill you yall in a lil on how the physics of a front wheel drive car works...

Asuming anyone here have ever autocrossed....bracket raced ... curcuit... what ever... in a front wheel drive car, you'll know that WE ALL suffer from understeer... i dont car if you drive a HONDA... or a pinto... all front wheel drive cars experience it. Does anyone know methods of eliminated understeer??
Well one has to do with the width of you tires... front vs. rear... front wheel drive cars get there power front front wheels and steer with them as well which means theres a hell of alot going on in the front of the car for and not much room for improvement as far a weight transfer... which brings me to my final point...if a person where to stagger their wheels on a front wheel drive car... it would lower the cars center of gravity, giving the rear more weight to handle helping the front not take so much of the load.... so under hard turning at a high rate of speed, insteed of understeering the vehicle you would experience oversteer... or too much steering ... which is easier to say the lease to control than the other.

in essense.... the rear would actually be helping steer the car... just think about it...
FYI- Pro curcuit racers, that race the RSX's and the Mazda 6's etc... all know about this.... they all run a wide tire and width in the rear to help with cutting corners HARD!...
why dont people use this in their FF set ups..... it cost $$$ to widen the rear of a FF car because most dont have a fender well that could acomidate anything but a 40mm offset.
Old 07-23-2006 | 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Soooo you're saying heavier, wider wheels in the rear will give you better handling? And then lighter wheels in the front?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm having a hard time making sense of your post.
Old 07-23-2006 | 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

How to get rid of understeer is very simple. Put alot of pressure in ure reat tires keep increasing until your happy. A slight trail brake will also fix it.
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:27 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:51 PM)
Soooo you're saying heavier, wider wheels in the rear will give you better handling? And then lighter wheels in the front?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm having a hard time making sense of your post.

who said they had to heavy? I did say it would cost, it is possible to get a 17x8 or 9 in under 20lbs you know, i wasnt talkin about wheel weight either i was refering to the vheicles weight transfer
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lol the lotus(which is RWD..) has 185 tires in the front and i think 205 tires in the back

and it will handle better than you could probably ever in the tib

i say just get some 215s on all 4 and call it a day

some huge 245s or somethin like that would look kinda stupid on a fwd car

oh and no matter how light your rims are a wide tire like that is gonna weigh ALOT...
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

You could get a staggered set designed for a Nissan 180SX pretty cheaply, I would've thought. I think they use the same 4x114.3 bolt pattern.
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:38 PM

QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Jul 23 2006, 09:29 PM)
lol the lotus(which is RWD..) has 185 tires in the front and i think 205 tires in the back

and it will handle better than you could probably ever in the tib

i say just get some 215s on all 4 and call it a day

some huge 245s or somethin like that would look kinda stupid on a fwd car

oh and no matter how light your rims are a wide tire like that is gonna weigh ALOT...

lol your post just made 0 sense lol why are you comparing a RWD lotus to a tiburon...... law of physics on a FF (front wheel drive) car not a FR.... so your saying my cars gonna look funny with staggerd rims???....

and how..... how..... a car ff look funny with wider wheels in the rear..... a car cant look rear wheel drive you know lol

QUOTE (OzFxCoupe @ Jul 23 2006, 09:31 PM)
You could get a staggered set designed for a Nissan 180SX pretty cheaply, I would've thought. I think they use the same 4x114.3 bolt pattern.

your exacatly right thats what im getting
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

no what im sayin is wide tires dont mean better traction...
Old 07-23-2006 | 10:44 PM

true.... but i never mentioned (i dont think) anything about tire with... you still thinking 2 demitional.... think OFFSET... FF offset is normally like 40mm...42mm... im talkin 35ish

(Please do not quote the post above you.)
Old 07-23-2006 | 10:48 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I dont know about other tib drivers, but I push my cars. I have way widened wheels in the rear, not big offset yet, but at least the spacers are there to push the wheels out farther. I hang out with a few guys who I'm pulling into the track scene instead of the street racing scene. They always end up in front and behind me in the heights taking 15 or 10 mph turns at 40-50 with steep drops on either side. They're all RWD, and my RD2 is flying around with em. Not that its super setup for cornering, but I do have a rear sway bar matched with a widened rear on Coilovers, and my sh!t handles. Its the only good thing about my RD2.