Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Shims...how important?

Old 09-12-2004 | 01:54 AM

Default Re: Timing the timing belt?

As stated above.. I took my shims out when I installed the green stuff pads. I had an issue with them not fitting between the rotor and the caliper with them in there.. Been some thirty thousand so far with no problems.

And I am sure they do not keep the pad in place, they are only there to keep vibration down
Old 09-12-2004 | 03:30 PM

Default FS: My Car! 1998 Tiburon SE - 6800 US or 8500 CAD

yah i guess ill have to take apart my brakes...check my rotors...and put it all back again. i hope the sound goes away...
Old 09-12-2004 | 03:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: FS: My Car! 1998 Tiburon SE

did any of you guys with noise put some grease on the back of the pads?? they sell it at auto zone... that might be the difference. you don't really notice it on the old pads due to how black it is by the time you change em.

imo don't take off the shims, on something as important as the brakes i wouldn't take any chances. laugh.gif

on the grease though, they sell it at the check out. comes in little packs, ask the guy there where brake pad grease is. he'll get it for you... man I love autozone laugh.gif
Old 09-12-2004 | 08:17 PM

Default canadianshark's new ride

QUOTE (Supercow)
imo don't take off the shims, on something as important as the brakes i wouldn't take any chances. laugh.gif

The grease will probably help, but assuming you installed everything (rotors flush with hub, and all your sliding parts are properly lubricated) correctly, the noise should go away.

Supercow, you are taking no chances when removing the shims. The are anti-vibration shims. Thats all they are. You won't even notice a difference and its not dangerous if you remove them. Plus, aftermarket or hi-performance pads don't generally come with shims. You usually don't need them. Plus, I like the look of the green pads poking thru my wheels!!! 8)
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:17 PM

Default Re: Pyle of sound or Pyle of crap?

QUOTE (teamsr888)
QUOTE (Supercow)

The grease will probably help, but assuming you installed everything (rotors flush with hub, and all your sliding parts are properly lubricated) correctly, the noise should go away.

Supercow, you are taking no chances when removing the shims. The are anti-vibration shims. Thats all they are. You won't even notice a difference and its not dangerous if you remove them. Plus, aftermarket or hi-performance pads don't generally come with shims. You usually don't need them. Plus, I like the look of the green pads poking thru my wheels!!! 8)

I thought these shims we were talking about where the ones on the back of my new pads... haven't installed the ebc's yet. I put hawk's on the back tonight, they came with shims, If the ebc's don't have em then I won't worry about it. laugh.gif

but anyways all I was saying was since i didn't see a reason to not install them then I'm going to. but hey if you didn't and aren't having any problems, great.

btw, hanguk I have no sounds coming from my brakes, I lubed em up good with that grease from autozone. laugh.gif
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:30 PM

Default Re: Opinions - Best Winter Tires

i havne't tried that yet. but im going to!

so just put the grease behind the pads rite?

thanks for all the advice you guys. soooooooo grateful. wink.gif
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:34 PM

Default Re: Rear Rotor

QUOTE (Hanguk9117)
i havne't tried that yet. but im going to!

so just put the grease behind the pads rite?

thanks for all the advice you guys. soooooooo grateful. :wink:

you put it on pretty much everything. all over the pad, except the actual pad part of course (sides of the backing, etc.) as well as any part of the caliper that would touch the pad. laugh.gif
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Pyle of sound or Pyle of crap?

I think it's hillarious when someone puts pad grease on the FRONT OF THEIR PADS.

LMAO