Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Screeching?

Old 09-22-2002 | 05:09 AM

Default Screeching?

Hey guys, just over the last month to two months I have noticed something about my car.. Whenever I turn the wheels to the right, while I'm moving, it makes a really high-pitched screeching sound.. it's so high-pitched it's almost inaudible.. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2002 | 05:32 AM
Jon

it might be your power steering pump on its way out.
Old 09-22-2002 | 06:03 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Check your belts also. It could be something small like making an adjustment to them or it could be something big like Jon said and it's your steering pump about to die. Also, check your power steering fluid too.
Old 09-22-2002 | 12:23 PM

how far are you turning the wheel? I know when I go near the locks, my car makes a slight shrilling noise but ive heard it on so many cars that I thought it was normal. Has anyone else heard this shrilling noise?
Old 09-22-2002 | 02:01 PM

It does it when the wheel is turned at all... no matter how little or how much.. thanks for the replies, guys!
Old 09-22-2002 | 03:04 PM

I got the same thing on mine, used to just happen when i turned it all the way to either side, now it happens all the time. I'm thinking it's my power steering belt but i'm not sure. It started after I put my underdrive pulley on. It may be my belt being too tight but i'm not sure. I'm waiting for a chance where me and my buddy can put the new belts i got (since I don't know how to do it) Perhaps it's just ur belts.
Old 09-22-2002 | 08:22 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Remove the P/S belt and move the P/S pump by hand; also check for lateral throwout on the pump bearings. Excessive throwout would mean that the pump is gone, check the P/S reservior, if the fluid level is way down low check the bottom of the car for leaks, if there is a leak down below and there is no oil residue up top your rack is gone. Also check all clamps to make sure that none of the hoses have been ruptured. Finally, check the condition of the belt.

Good Luck!