Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Refinishing Stock Wheels

Old 04-19-2005 | 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I did a search but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I use my set of stock 15" alloy wheels for my winter tires and they are starting to look pretty bad due to exposure to salt and everything else that winter inflicts on them. These wheels are the five spoke type that were standard on the SE model of the Tiburon in Canada. They have a painted centre part with a polished outer edge and lip. The polished part is what I am concerned about.

If they were totally painted it seems easy enough. Just sand them down a bit and respray them. But how do you deal with the polished portion that has a clear coat on it? Do you just have to keep sanding until its all gone or do you need to use a wire brush or some other method?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Old 04-21-2005 | 08:58 AM

for the polished part.. I would start with chemicals made for polishing/cleaning aluminum. No sense in scratching a set of alloys.
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that when I get around to undertaking this project.