Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

really bad grinding

Old 03-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default really bad grinding

As Im always going to begin my threads, I did search for this topic but the results I got didnt match to my specific problem really.

A couple weeks ago as I drove in the morning I would hear my brakes squeal..and afterwards the noise would stop so I knew that was normal. This week however, when Im driving to work which is about five minutes from my house, theres no noise in the morning but when Im driving home and I brake its this horrible, loud, grinding sound coming from both passenger and driver side. The car doesnt stop too well but it stops. I doubt its the rotors, but I just dont know if its even the brakes. I got the car six months ago and I know the dealer changed the brakes and such. I believe it might be the caliper because after driving a long distance theres a plastic smell coming from the wheels. I drive mostly highway miles so I dont brake excessively. Can anyone help me out? Thanks guys.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

might be the brake pads take them to like a firestone place and they will inspect them for free
Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 PM

The squeel you talk about sounds a lot like the brake bad squeel pad. That lets you know when you are running out of pad and need to get them changed. As for the grinding..... The only thing the two could relate together to is if your brakes are now gone and you are grinding the brake pad mount into the rotor to stop yourself. Pull off one of the wheels you hear the sound from and look at the pad in the caliper. Does it have any pad left?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 PM

i agree with ultra. granted the dealer said they changed the brakes, but check how much is left on the break pad, thats usually a cause for a grinding sound.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

how long did you let the brakes squeel before it made the grinding noise? sounds like you got no more pad and its just metal on metal
Old 03-16-2005, 05:09 PM

They didnt even squeal that bad and it only occured in the mornings. That was a couple weeks ago. Its just weird that the brakes can be going out already after only six months use. My first car who knows if the brakes were even changed in the first place but I never had to change them once. Do brakes wear out this easily on the Tiburon? My dad will be taking the car to the shop tomorrow to get a look see. Thanks for the help guys, I really believe its the brakes as well.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Guess a lot of us were wrong here. My dad took the car to his shop to check it out and he said it was the strut and strut tower. I have to go to the wretched dealership tomorrow and get it fixed..hopefully they will actually see the problem and fix it. This is my second strut thats going to be changed.. mad.gif
Old 03-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

were not entirely wrong...just trying to diagnose over the internet is a PITA
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM

noone said you were..its just that the strut maybe didnt cross our mind. At least it didnt cross my mind.. tongue.gif:
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 PM

Yeah I have to admit from what you were explaining the struts were the last thing on my mind. If your car isnt under warrenty anymore you may be better off just replacing the whole thing with some eibach springs and kyb struts. Atleast then you will know you will not have any of these issues for a while.