Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Random question about under strut brace

Old 08-25-2001, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Custom Wagon
Default Random question about under strut brace

Hey Random I just ordered my under strut brace. With the current suspension set up how much will this help? Right now I have front and rear strut tower braces and front and rear swaybars like yours. But what I'm wondering is if the under strut brace stiffins up the suspension that much how can it handle better when it will be easier to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

With a properly stiff anti-sway/roll bar, proper springs and struts, you should not lift a wheel off the ground.

The under bar is meant more for transmitting load evenly to both sides of the suspension.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:46 PM

Hey Random thanks for the info. My rear wheel does lift should I adjust the rear swaybar then?
Old 08-27-2001, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

If the inside rear wheel lifts, then your swaybar is not stiff enough, and/or your suspension is lowered to much so the wheel does not have enough vertical/down travel.

Which sway bar do you have? which struts, which springs?
Old 08-27-2001, 07:38 AM

I have the factory struts and the same swaybar as you. And Axis springs 1.75 I believe. And it is the inside tire that lifts a little not much about a inch or so. I guess I can't tell but that is what people tell me who follow me.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

If you jack the car up by the rear corner, you should see just how far you have to move the body up to get that wheel off the ground. That is a significant amount of body roll/movement. My guess is that it is a combination of hard braking that transfers weight to the front of the car, and hard cornering (usually right hand corners), that moves the weight of the car forward and left...which causes the right rear wheel to lift off the ground.

One option is to install a front swaybar if you do not have one. Another option is to install stiffer but HIGHER springs up front, to prevent so much front end loading durring breaking. This may stop your wheel from leaving the ground, but my make driving so harsh as to be uncomfortable.

Setting the rear swaybar to it's stiffest setting should help. Make sure you did not install the sway bar nuts/bolts too tight. If it is installed to tight...the sway bar will not move and so it will not work.
Old 08-31-2001, 03:49 PM

One more question for you Random. Does the rear swaybar need to be torqued down to a certain ft.lb?
Old 08-31-2001, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by guiltybydesign:
One more question for you Random. Does the rear swaybar need to be torqued down to a certain ft.lb?

Are you refering to the bolts that hold the sway bar bushing bracket in place, or the end links that connect to the sway bar?

Either way...the answer is YES!

The bushing brackets should be 12-19 Ft/Lbs.
The end links should be 25-33 ft/lbs
Old 09-01-2001, 01:20 AM

Thanks for all the info Random. I really appericate it. Hopefully my new under strut brace should be here next week or so. Can't wait to put it on and try it out. Thanks again for the help.