Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Problem: Too Much Front-end Roll

Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced all struts with KYB GR2's, replaced both front strut mounts, got a whole front and rear alignment, have new tires on it that have been rotated and balanced, and am now having BAD roll in the front when I turn the wheel left and right. It feels like the tires are about to lose grip during turns and if I turn the wheel barely back and forth at highways speeds it feels like Im gonna lose control. It feels SO unresponsive, kind of like when I had bad struts up there....

I'm thinking something to do with the sway bar or its end-links? Is there something else I should look at while I'm down there?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

loose sway bars would be about the only thing I can think of. Maybe you should check the air in the tires, verify the spring and shock part numbers are correct for the car, make sure you have the vehicle aligned properly again, ensure tightness of all strut components.

I'm pretty sure that its a loose sway bar, tire pressure, or alignment. But the sway bar should be seen obviously by a tech doing the alignment.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM

There is exactly 30 psi in every tire, the springs are stock so they are the right ones, the new struts are the correct numbers, and this happened just this week, and it was aligned 3 weeks ago. So an end-link could have come loose since then or something...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

depending if its a end link or not, when you turn a corner it will have a popping noise to it. at least mine did but both my rears were completely loose, rusted, and bent.

put the new ones on tonight and the car feel like a totally new beast in the azz end.

14mm socket and wrench and go tighten them boogers just in case.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

i drove without a read end link for about 3 years, and it had a bad amount of roll. now that i put a new endlink on, its alot better..

i would check your sway bar. or endlinks.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 AM

how are your tire tread? I found that my old tib was very suseptible to feeling "out of control" when the tread levels got close to being done.

Also, check your bushings, not just the swaybar, but the control arm bushings as well. If they have perished, it can do all sorts of wacky things to your handling
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
DTN

QUOTE (Dark Shark @ Jul 7 2007, 01:21 AM)
I just replaced all struts with KYB GR2's, replaced both front strut mounts, got a whole front and rear alignment, have new tires on it that have been rotated and balanced, and am now having BAD roll in the front when I turn the wheel left and right. It feels like the tires are about to lose grip during turns and if I turn the wheel barely back and forth at highways speeds it feels like Im gonna lose control. It feels SO unresponsive, kind of like when I had bad struts up there....

I'm thinking something to do with the sway bar or its end-links? Is there something else I should look at while I'm down there?

With those low profile tires you have, you should be running 35-40 PSI tire pressure. 32 is stock tire pressure. When you go to low profile tires you should increase the pressure. 30 is simply not enough.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

^^^ Except, I'm riding on stockers now. Those rims were bent and I had to pull them off for now.

Well I just jacked it up and had a look around... Front bar and end-links are in place, and the bushings look fine. I looked at the rear bar as well and it looked the same, I couldnt find anything wrong from looking at it. *sigh* I guess Ill be taking it in to a shop to get looked at so they can tell me whats wrong so I can fix it...
Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 PM

You put the stock tyres back on.. how old are they? Not only did you increase the sidewall by going down some in rim diameter, but you made the ride a LOT softer because of that tall sidewall.

If the tyres are a couple of years old, they could also be dried out and no longer as sticky as they once were.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 AM
DTN

Did you have the car aligned AFTER you put on the struts?

I bought the firestone lifetime warranty alignment for $130. now whenever I mess with my struts I just take it to a firestone and blam, new alignment.