Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Opinions - Best Winter Tires

Old 09-12-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: canadianshark's new ride

All,

I'm trying to determine the best winter tires for the stock wheels. Last year I had Semperit Sport Grip. They were pretty good. I just want to know what other people think. Also, they were sized 195/55R15. I was wondering if I would be better with 205/50 or 55 R15? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt (01 Tib)
Old 09-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: Carbon fiber Dash and type R spoiler..

Bridgestone Blizzak is a pretty damn good tire. It gets a hell of a lot of buyers at my store. Great driving and braking tire

I'm only familiar w/ a couple other brands: Michelin Arctic Alpine. I personally hate these, and have heard not so good things about them. They just don't have the looks of a good winter tire

Besides them, there's also the Sears Winterhandler. This tire has good traction and decent braking grip. I had these on my Ciera and i had no significant problems w/ them at all
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: FS: My Car! 1998 Tiburon SE

I bought Pirelli Winter carving last year and they are awsome!!! I go trough a set per winter usually because of abuse...I did go trough them too in a winter but the traction is excellent. Better than many tires I have tried before. Michelin Ultra grip is also a pretty good tire.

Winter tires depends on wether you want an ice tire or a snow tire. You can never get both efficiently. I prefer a snow tire. On an ice patch, in a difficult situation, even with the best tires, there is nothing you can do(I am not talking about joyriding).

As for the size, in winter tire, you want the highest sidewall height and the narrowest contact patch. 185/65/15 is good. You want the highest pressure per square in on the contact patch. By reducing its size, the same weight is on a smaller area so there is more force pushing the snow/water into the grooves of the tire.

The high sidewall is to allow your tire to give more. A stiff winter tire will have better stability but less effective on ice.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Pyle of sound or Pyle of crap?

Yes, Narrower Tires are better for winter.
If you have to go with your OEM rims keep the 195/55r15 size, DO NOT go wider. If you wanted to go with the 185/65R15's

Michelin Artic Alpins get my vote, unfortunatly they are probably the most expesive. Next would be the Bridgstone Blizzacks smile.gif
Old 09-12-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Shims...how important?

I highly recommend "Nokian Tires" . The tire shop that I have used for years recommended these to me laster year. The guy there told me that he felt these are the best damn tires for the snow that you can buy and after using them I agree! I didn't see the same model tire that I used on their site anymore. But this company makes an amazing snow tire for a decent price. I think the tires I bought last year cost me about $75 US dollars.

Check the site out and ask at some tire shops..... see what they think of the tire's.

http://www.nokian.com/passengercars_produc...KAPELIITTA+RSi#
Old 09-13-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines GB #3 *PAY UP!!!*

Thanks guys for all your input. I'll definetly keep the stock size for the winter. I can't go with the 65 series because the car will rub due to lowering. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

QUOTE (Bouve124)
I highly recommend "Nokian Tires" .

Which ones did you use? I'm thinking the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA RSi???
Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Struts?

Yes, they are very good but pricy.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Opinions - Best Winter Tires

QUOTE (LarryMcFly)
Yes, they are very good but pricy.

Hey, if anyone is interested I just called www.tirefactory.net. They quoted me 199.80 for 185/55R15 plus shipping ($40.00) and 299.80 plus shipping for 195/55R15. I'd say not bad. In gonna order some time this month. FYI, that is for the Hakkapeliitta Q. The guy said these are an unbeatable snow tire.

You guys think I should go with the 185's right???
Old 09-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: ugh im back

Like I said they don't have the model tire on their site that I have anymore.... but I would still get one of the new models... They make such a good tire!