Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Opinions on Aluminum Lug Nuts...

Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Aluminum Lug Nuts...

Any opinions or good/bad experiences with Light aluminum lug nuts?

Thinking about these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Old 03-15-2005, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i got mine from here...
http://www.machv.com/forallugnut.html

the color is getting weird on the black ones, might just need a cleannig. they are light as hell.

id say they are worth it. dont know about the ones on ebay though.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 PM

Location: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there

the only problem I had with aluminum nuts is they tend not to stay torqued maybe it was just mine though. somehting about dissimiliar metals and heat, i think i read in another thread.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 AM

Only problem i have had with mine so far is the paint comming off on the back side of it. Other than that they stay torqued, i check them every few weeks just to make sure but havent had any problems in that area. over all pretty good for $20 on ebay!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: 02 Accent

The only experience i can tell you is that Aluminum lug nuts are not as good as regular lug nuts, they "overtorque" really easy with (any half decent about of torque) impact gun, thats just some knowledge i have from 10 months of working at a tire shop!! i would personally never use them for safety reasons, taking them off are REALLY easy to do, not much effort needed.......Also they stretch a lot more than regular lug nuts so they loose there grip after so many times taking them on and off. But the Up-side is they look good!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 AM

I want them to take off more rotational mass.

I have 13 pound rims and thought I might ass well shave off some more weight down there.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to get them.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:55 AM

Use the Zenki lugs. They are light weight tuner lugs. Also FYI we are 12x1.5 not 12x1.25. Here is an example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 AM

QUOTE (cbehage)
I want them to take off more rotational mass.

I have 13 pound rims and thought I might ass well shave off some more weight down there.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to get them.

You're kidding right? Shaving off weight at the wheels? Shaving off 1-2 lbs/wheel is minute. That's like going with the "oh, I'm going to keep my C/F body parts unpainted b/c I'll save weight."

If anything, and you're serious about weight savings, you can start by removing your rear seats, parts of your interior panels...oh and DEFINITELY your speakers. Since you won't have any speakers, the head unit can go bye-bye.

So what's my point? 1-2 lbs extra pounds will not make a difference. If it's more then 5-10lbs, then yes, you'll notice your wheels will spin a bit faster. But over a bunch of lug nuts,...that's just a waste of money on lug nuts.

Oh, and aluminum tends to shrink and expand with temperature, and you'll notice the difference. That's why your aluminum lugs tend to be "crappier" than your normal steel lugs. However, I can see forged aluminum (from like 10,000 tons of pressure) as being extremely lightweight and strong...if it isn't forged from pressure, and it's aluminum, then I'd probably say no.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you damn tire shop people used to always crossthread and over tighten my lug nuts. just regular ones too. everytime i had to take all my wheels off, chances are id be snapping a stuf cause the b**** was crossthreaded.

i just got a torque wrench.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM

Currently I use an impact gun to put the lugs on. But for tuner lugs you are NOT suppose to use an impact gun to put on or remove lugs. Just an FYI.