Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

In Need Of Some Urgent Help

Old 04-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Pic of the caliper guide rods

I'm in the process of installing rotors lines pads etc and I took the caliper off and I noticed on the carrier that the top guide rod can be pushed in and out but the bottom guide rod doesn't even budge. This is on both sides of the car.

Is that how it's suppose to be? I don't see why there would be a boot covering the lower guide rod if it wasn't suppose to move.

Someone clear this this up.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:00 PM

In that photo you linked to the "carrier" moves/floats. That's why those rubber boots are there. The guide rods hold the carrier in place, but allow it to move latterally. The guide rod itself doesn't move.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Both guide rods (upper and lower) should move.

I had problem - both rods stucked in bracket (rear right caliper), that's why that caliper almost didn't brake.

You can try to use a lot of WD-40, you need to turn stucked rod.

But be very careful, cause bracket is made from cast iron and if you hammer on it - it could crack.

If that doesn't help - you can go with more extreme ways:
1. heat up braket with a gas-jet and turn the rod (that helped me)
2. drill out stucked rod

In both ways you need new guide rods.

Be sure you use caliper greese, when puting guide rods back.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:43 PM

My lower guide rod's on the front calipers do not move at all. The top ones move in and out but the lower are frozen. Not frozen inside the carrier but in a neutral postion not being able to push them into the carrier.

Hope that clears up a bit of confusion
Old 04-30-2005, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah thats bad, and thats also why your having braking problems. if i were you, i would just get a new caliper.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:16 PM

Yes, I think I was the first to come across this problem. It seems to happen somewhere around 80,000 miles. My only advice is, when you do a brake pad change, take the guide pins out and regrease them with good high temp grease. Not too much though as it will keep the pins from going all the way in.

There does seem to be a problem with this from Hyundai, Generally though, once this happens you need to replace the entire caliper bracket. Unfortunatly, the rears are ONLY availible as an entire package from the dealer. Caliper, bracket, and the pins for roughly $200. You might get lucky and find a tib in a yard and buy just the bracket, I got charged $35 for just the bracket and pins.

I am unsure, but would Elantra front brackets work on the tib?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm as of right now taking the brakets to my old man's shop. He has too tools there that I can't even imagine of me having at home. If worse comes to worse, he can drill out the old pins and use the good ones as a model to make some on a cnc machine.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

good luck with that. personally, i would look on car-part.com and get a used cheap caliper. like 35 bucks with shipping.

either way, make sure you generously grease the guide rods(try to avoid the threads) with CALIPER GREASE. you can find it at your local automotive store.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 PM

If you need pins.. I think I have some you can have
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 PM

EASY FIX!!!

Take the caliper apart so you have just the carrier and the guide rods. Now take a vice and put the carrier in the vice. Make sure you WD-40 it all too!! .. The take a set of vide grips and a hammer. Put the vice grips around the guide rod and hit up on the vice grips with the hammer. Try to twist the guide rod before and after just to loosen it a bit! .. It should come apart rather difficultly but it will come apart.