Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Need Help! Strange Steering Issue...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took it to a local shop. The mechanic is convinced that the steering rack is OK and that it is aligned properly. He recommended that I replace all
4 engine mounts. So I have replaced them. It made a difference and the car is much tighter now but it still pulls hard left on acceleration and drops back suddenly on decel or once cruising speed is achieved.

Still stumped. sad.gif
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No, he meant HE should be PAID to replace them! Take it back, see what they say now?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Actually, he was telling me to do it. They are aware I do most of my own work and are willing to help when I need it.
Looks like I may have to pay them to diagnose it as I have replaced nearly every obvious possibility.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM

Finally Solved!

I took the car to a local garage because I was just plain unable to figure out what was causing the problem.
It took the garage a couple of hours but they found the issue. Seems that someone had tried to loosen the
passenger side lower control arm pivot bolt. The captive nut was rusted to the bolt and ended up breaking
free of the frame. So the bolt was one turn loose. The lock washer took up enough of the gap that the bolt
looked and felt tight.

I used a small hole saw to open access through the frame. I then welded the nut back to the frame. The heat
from welding expanded the nut and freed it from the bolt so was able to tighten it and solve the problem.

I will likely have to replace the control arm this spring as I think the bushing has ripped free of the steel sleeve
and will probably wear out soon. But it should hold up through the winter.

KKrofft
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Lovely. Well I guess it's better than breaking off driving down the highway. I'm glad you finally got it sorted out.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

A bizarre problem for bizarre symptoms, I'm glad you got it all sorted out!