Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

More Alignment Woes

Old 03-28-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Alignment Woes

**Update**
Lower Control Arm is kinked at the bushing like 2mm. Threw the whole caster angle off 2.7 degrees at the wheel; can't even see it until you get the arm off.

I just went in to have my car aligned after sliding off the embankment in the snow, plus I added the 17" wheels and tires and figured I needed it anyways.
The insurance company picked up the car after the wreck and carried it to their collision repair center; I had miniscule body damage and told the shop I didn't want any of the body touched up or repaired. I requested to have my car sent to a certified mechanic to check the suspension. Appearantly the adjuster said it was looked at by one of the guys at the collision center and that guy said the suspension was fine and it didn't need to be sent to the shop, .. so I picked it up and filled out a formal complaint and survey at Progressive.

After about 15 minutes, the guy came back with the alignment specs. The camber was off on three of the wheels and the caster on the right front is WAY off. I ordered a set of OBX camber bolts for like $30. The guy at Big "O" wanted to charge me $60 for the three bolts and $60 for install. I told him to stick it and just align the toe.

Alignment Specs:
Camber Front Left: Actual -1.0 / Before -1.0
Camber Front Right: Actual -0.9 / Before -0.9
Caster Front Left: Actual 2.1 / Before 2.1 arkRed">PERFECT
Camber Front Right: Actual 0.6 / Before 0.6 arkRed">WAY OFF - almost 2" behind
Toe Left: Actual 0.00 / Before 0.50
Toe Right: Actual -0.01 / Before 1.07
SAI Left: Actual 13.4 / Before 13.4
SAI Right: Actual 13.0 / Before 13.0
Included Angle Left: 12.4 / Included Angle Right: 12.1

Well evidently there is no possible way to adjust the Caster. The guy at the shop told me to take it to the dealer and see what they say.

After all those hardcore statistics, I guess the real questions are:
How hard is this to fix?
How expensive will this be?
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I still am not sure if the arms are hosed also. My brother-in-law is one of the head mechanics at one of the dealerships here in Louisville and will be checking these shortly.

I guess I figured out why I am having that mudflap rub with my new 17's while backing up at an angle.