Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Lowering Car, Handr Springs

Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I am planning on lowering my 2001 Tib this summer, I am doing this for performance purposes, autox and better street handling/safety, and have read that these springs and struts are good. I am doing the project myself and I am getting some cheap spring compressors so I can install them. I have recently had my wheels alligned to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=35625

My questions are do I need to have some type of camber kit?
This setup good for performance?
And can I just use cheap spring compressors like in the link?

Thanks Brian
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM

For those prices you can probably get in on Blacktib's Eibach group buy.

As for the spring compressor. Just be careful and treat a compressed spring as though it was a live bomb. When compressed, you have to remember, it holds enough kinetic energy to hold your car up off of the ground and to control it in moderatly sporty conditions. I have heard of accidently released springs literally rebounding through walls AND people's hands.

I AM trying to scare you here, because I want you to do this safely.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 PM

Ok thanks for the warning about the compressors, I wanted a lower drop than the Ebaichs, the H&R give about .3" more and the shocks are too expensive compared to the gr2s.
And the camber will be fine right?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Camber will be fine as long as you don't drop down too far. Eibachs supposedly drop down a good .3 or more than advertised. If you go for a larger drop, the GR2s probably won't be sufficient enough.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 PM

So the gr2s wont be good enough for a 1.5" drop, do I have to get ebaich struts or which ones?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Try and find someone with H&Rs and see if they drop as much as they advertise. GR2s are more of a better replacement shock than a higher performance one. 1.5" is about where I would still use the GR2. If they settle lower than that, then I might look into some Eibachs, which last for a long time and are very good.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I have the H&R's...they are comparable to Eibachs in drop (like you said...a little bit more) but they are stiffer than eibachs. The ride is a little rougher than eibachs but I like it. Even trade in my books.

If you wanna see pics of the drop check out the FlyRyde Group Buy thread for the Eibachs kits in the Current Group Buy section. look through and you'll find my post with before and after pictures of my car (w/ rims too). While your skimming through, check the incredible deal that Chris has put together for us for a limited time on eibach stuff. Simply, amazing. Maybe jump in on that.

In my opinion

H&R drop = .4" more drop than Eibach

and KYB GR2 are a good choice. I need some pretty soon, but I will probably go with Eibachs through FlyRydes.

On the spring compressor, listen to Mad. I had no problems with my installation/removal (except for one scare) and I used the same cheapo spring compressor as you.

FYI: if your using those compressors you MUST have air tools. Hand tightening will not cut it. And a car lift would make life easier (lift car to about chest high to aid in removal of strut assembly).
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM

yea i have air tools but for the lift i dont think i can get it that high, i just have jacks
the ebaich struts are really expensive but i may get them
gr2s are half the cost
Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

you get what you pay for with sturts....

sometimes you gotta wait and do it right
Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Ditto on you get what you paid for.

Also the Eibach Pro-Kit struts and springs, are tuned for each other. The struts go with the springs in other words.
So I'm not sure mixing the KYB's with the H&R's would give you better or worst handling than with the Eibachs. I can't say cuz I haven't tried both setups, but I do have the Eibachs, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. It's good for a daily driver, cuz the ride is nice and when I want to AMP it up in the corners, I can

Also have you thought of the Eibach Sport line of springs, I think they are like a 2" drop. Not sure if there are coresponding struts for that.
Oh yeah, and if you stay less than 2" of a drop, you shouldn't need a camber kit and your alignment shop should be able to align them up fine.
Oh yeah, and forget about your current alignment, once you install the new suspension you'll have to get another one.

And GET SOME SWAY BARS!!! That will make the MOST difference!
Trust me. wink1.gif

SWAY BARS!!!!
SWAY BARS!!!!
SWAY BARS!!!!