Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Loud Knock Sound From Front End Over Bumps

Old 05-03-2004 | 12:25 PM

You guys actually think it could be the callipers, even though the car has so few miles on it, and I've never worked on the brakes? I was actually thinking that the spring binding was sounding more likely, but there again it seems odd that it could be caused by that with so little miles on my car. Thanx for all the input guys. I get my house (with an attached 2+ car garage to envy) in about a month, so I will be looking deeper into the issue soon. If anyone els has had the same issue or suggestions, keep 'em comming!
Old 05-03-2004 | 03:32 PM

All I can say is if you have a chance take off the wheel and check to make sure your caliper bolts are still there. If you have had anything done to your brakes that requires you to take off the calipers (which I would hope you have at least had new pads), one of the bolts may not have been tight enough and rattled loose. That's about the only thing I can think of if you don't have a lot of miles on the car.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

I don't think I said before, but I experienced the exact same thing and it was spring coil binding. Absolutely check out the whole front end... Though I have to say, I find it unlikely you would have a caliper or ball joint problem, there would be other symptoms besides just a loud noise like you describe.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:40 PM

All I had was the noise and there were no bolts holding the caliper on at all. Yes I'm the dumbass that forgot to put them back on.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:45 PM

I have the same problem with my front car now. I just had my rotors and pads, ss brake lines, installed a few weeks ago. and my new rims and tires installed last weekend.
after driving around on the weekend I notice a clunk or something like that from the right front of the car. it happens when the car comes to a complete stop or hitting a bump.
I have eibach springs in my stock struts. The springs have been installed for a year now. I am thinking it might be the struts going bad. When I jacked the front end of the car up, the right front strut does not pull the tire up with it, but all the other struts lift the wheel off the ground when jacking up the car. not sure if that would be the problem or not.
Old 05-04-2004 | 06:03 AM

I assume you are saying this only happens when going over a big and abrupt bump/hole? I would not worry about it too much, My car has done that since new.. only on the driver's side.. I just hit 94,000 yesterday
Old 05-04-2004 | 06:27 AM

I'm not too worried about it. Mine has done it forever also, I think only on the passenger side. I posted it over at HA yesterday and Random suggested bad highspeed valving since it is only abrupt bumps/pot holes and under heavy acceleration over bumps. Every thing he described sounded dead on to my symptoms. I just found it hard to believe that I could have a bad strut from the factory, but hey, stuff happens. I think I'll try replacing mine sometime this summer, but I'm not going to sweat it, since 99.9% of the time it is not an issue. If all goes well with my job hunt, I may just go full coil overs.