Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Light Weight Wheels And Tires.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello everyone,

I know this has probably been asked about 4000 times lol, but I was wondering what you guys think about these wheels and tires for my 98 FX tiburon (silver). I currently have the stock wheels (painted black) with the dunlop fm901's (I think these suck, anyone else agree?). I would like a 17 simply for the fact that tire flex would be greatly reduced and it wouldn't be TOO big like the 18's I still have lying around. Not to mention an extra 10mm of width would also help the grip department.

Here are the wheels:

http://store.racinglab.com/5zfnrawh17.html

I want the bronze ones that appear as soon as the window opens, but was thinking about black since the car is silver. But the only black pics I get are the ones that are sucked in in the center? Besides, I am really thinking the bronze will look SICK. Could someone please explain to me why the bronze wheel in the top left pic box isn't sucked in (looks a lot better without being sucked in like the others IMO)? Reason being is I don't want to buy these and expect a clean, flat wheel surface and get some ugly recessed POS. Also, just to make sure, there are only 4 mounting holes on these wheels right? I don't want the universal cheap look. I might have to buy these this week as the price is pretty damn low being that they are on sale.

I was wondering if I should get the 35 or the 42mm offset. Consider the fact that I am lowered at least 2 inches (the tire is JUST tucking under the fender), and I want NO rubbing whatsoever, even when cornering hard. Rubbing on the inner fender well is much better to me than tearing up the metal outer fender. I know the 35mm offset would bring the wheel closer to the inside of the car, but I would also like to have a good wheelbase width too, so, sacrafices might need to be made here. And oh yeah, I have captive rotors so that might be an issue. I am definately not going to use wheel spacers though. Does anyone know if these wheels have recesses in the back that can go over the captive bolts? If not I will take them to a machinist I know and get some recesses made.

I plan on going with a 205/40/17 tire, the exsta mx (gotta keep em korean!, lol). I hear these are great tire for wet and dry weather, and there is minimal road noise, so...

Here is a link to the tires for those of you that haven't seen them yet:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...eModel=ECSTA+MX

That size is a PERFECT match to the stock tire size that comes with my car, I think it was off by .01 MPH at 60 MPH on the miata tire calculator.

Any and all comments are welcome here. cool.gif
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM

I just ordered some FN01R-C 17's in 32mm offset... they just shipped monday so hopefully I'll have then soon. I'll post pics as soon as I get them on.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Do you plan on using these in the snow? If so, you'll need the Kumho ASX tires or the AST. If not, ignore this.

I use mine all year round. Kumhos hold reasonably well in all but 2+ inches of snow. Great tires for so cheap!

Check out tirerack. I usually recommed them cause they mount and balance for free (Saving you atleast $60).

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Okay, I have a set of wheels and tires for the winter already.

Tirerack doesn't carry the wheels I want so they are out.

What do you guys think about the bronze color on the silver tib?

32 seems a little low considering stock is 38, but still, I would greatly appreciate some pics and feedback, thanks.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming please. smile.gif
Old 05-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i was going to go with the fn01r-c, only i couldnt find them in our bolt pattern and a 16" wheel. the forged version was, but 1500 just for wheels is a bit much.

the sucked in picutre has to be of one with a CRAZY low offset, maybe even negative. and yes, only 4 holes. i also believe you will not need tuner lugs for these wheels too, which makes things easier. you should go with the 42mm offset. on the captive situation, they look like they have pretty big gaps, i just dont know if it will be enough.

i would get bronze on silver. bronze wheels are teh hotness. im going to paint mine sometime soon.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

me i'm going to get Rota C-10 15" bronze +35mm wink1.gif

tdonnel i think stock the offset is +42mm no ?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 PM

Would the 42mm be too close to the fender?

Is 42mm our stock offset?

I think bronze would be sick too, might have to buy these tomorrow, lol.

So, tibby, there is already a recess on the back of the wheels for the lugs from the captive setup?

If it is close I can just have some of the area machined so they will fit wink1.gif .

Damn, I am gettin all exited about new rims and tires now, gunna have to waste some money, lol.

What you guys think about the rubbing issue being lowered as much as I have.

Thanks for so many replies, the more the better. smile.gif
Old 05-03-2006, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

42mm is stock, or really close to it. look in the pictures, you can see the areas where the wheel bolts up to the studs protrudes pretty far and inbetween there are just gaps. just about perfect for a captive rotor.

you have the ksports right? you should be good as long as they arent super lowered, the sturt/spring body is much narrower than stock.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Yeah, I have the ksports. I was thinking that the black look really good too, maybe even better than the bronze. I have the stock wheels painted black right now and like them a lot.

Although bronze wheels are a little rarer.

I have to do some serious thinking as to the color I want.

I see the little recesses that you are talking about, they look like they will fit perfect.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Got mine on today... they weigh 3lbs less per wheel than my stockers. I weighed them myself as I was changing them. stock wheel with tire 39.5lbs FN01R's with tires 36.5lbs.

These are 17x7 with 32mm offset... they fit perfectly, no rubbing or anything.
The tires I went with are Toyo proxes-4 205/40s