Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Knocking Sound When Breaking

Old 04-10-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

hey guys, ive noticed seems only whne going slow that when i hit the breaks i get a sounds like a gentle "knock knock" from my front (sounds like) right side..only thing i can think of is the brake pads are shifting ajust a bit but its to constant to do that..and only when going slow. when i brake on the highway i dont feel it or hear it. but when driving is trafic its almost constant. only other thing i can thing of is my calaper bolts are lose andi ts moving latterly side to side a bit..i just though of that while typing ill check it today after im done washing it... any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:03 PM

how odd... Honestly I can't think of anything there that would make it knock when you apply the brakes. You do not by chance have ABS do you?

How about noises after you release?

Any pulling to one side or the other?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I had knocking (ratteling sound) when brakes are not applyed (problem was in metal springs that holds brake pad in brackets.

Maybe be you have old pads, but sound will be squeaky.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

strut mounts knock when braking wink1.gif

you may need to replace the mount(s)
Old 04-10-2005, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

does it happen if you accelerate hard too?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:55 PM

well after i posted i looked around on the board for some simmiler stuff and found alot of people said check the lug nuts on wheel... well when i whent to take the tire off to have a looksee i found that 2 of the 4 lugnuts where less then hand tight! :unsure:
02.gif startled i took the rest of the lugs off (the other 2 i had to use simon my breaker bar that i get extra leverage when working with stuff like that) looked around the brakes were fine. all bolts tight nothing rubbing.. put the tire back on and put the lugs back on and made sure that alll were tight and made sure the rest of the lugs on the car were tight as well.....so i belive it was loose lugs !!! :-( donno when they could of came lose though 02.gif
Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 PM

well, that is an easy fix. Somebody do some work on your car recently, or did you just buy it recently and are dealing with somebody elses' craftsmanship?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:18 PM

mad machine, i had the horn replaced at the dealer because it was bad but i dont think they had to take the tire off to get to it. they might have but it also could have been from the last time i rotated the tires..but i dont think it was that becuase that was over 2000 miles ago just glad that i found it. always remember kids to tighten your lug nuts!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM

would you believe it if I told you that they had to take the wheel off to replace the horn? There are two horns on the tib.. one in front of the radiator and one inside the driver's side fender. You either have to contort yourself up and remove the bottom of the liner to get to it, or remove the wheel and liner.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:51 PM

QUOTE (bullfrog @ Apr 10 2005, 09:55 PM)
well after i posted i looked around on the board for some simmiler stuff and found alot of people said check the lug nuts on wheel... well when i whent to take the tire off to have a looksee i found that 2 of the 4 lugnuts where less then hand tight! :unsure:
02.gif startled i took the rest of the lugs off (the other 2 i had to use simon my breaker bar that i get extra leverage when working with stuff like that) looked around the brakes were fine. all bolts tight nothing rubbing.. put the tire back on and put the lugs back on and made sure that alll were tight and made sure the rest of the lugs on the car were tight as well.....so i belive it was loose lugs !!! :-( donno when they could of came lose though 02.gif

I'd keep an eye on them.
And if it comes back (loosen nuts) change the studs as well as get new nuts.

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Apr 11 2005, 07:08 PM)
would you believe it if I told you that they had to take the wheel off to replace the horn? There are two horns on the tib.. one in front of the radiator and one inside the driver's side fender. You either have to contort yourself up and remove the bottom of the liner to get to it, or remove the wheel and liner.

Actually, YOu can just pull the front part of the liner back, and hook it with like a bungee cord and change the horn. Most of the guys at the dealership will do this, they don't have time to take the liner AND tire off. That's what I didn when I changed both my horns.