Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

How do I bleed brakes???

Old 06-11-2004 | 09:45 AM

I suggest something like this:

http://www.tooldesk.com/cgi-bin/webplus.ex...046111042561049

Worth EVERY penny...

You might also be able to get away with just a clear tube stuck over the nipple.. place the free end into a car with some brake fluid JUST covering the end (to keep air from going up the tube). make sure the master cylinder is full.. and open the bleeder nipple.. gravity should do the rest.. HOWEVER.. keep an eye on the Master Cylinder. if you suck air through the resevour.. you are doing the job all over again. So be certain to stop every so often and refill.

Also, you are using line wrenches or a box end on the nipple right? An open end wrench will just round them off.
Old 06-11-2004 | 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, my response last night didn't take for some reason.

I know about Webtech dumbass, I just don't use it often or know where to find that stuff.

Heh, thanks though bro.
Old 06-11-2004 | 01:38 PM

Mad, It depends on which car I am doing it on, which wrench I use. I have found some domestics that use standard sizes on the bleeders and I don't need a line wrench, others do need a line wrench. I haven't done the tib yet, so I will find out when I do. I, however, haven't had many problems when I use a regular open-ended wrench to do it. Like I said, it depends.

I just use a tube and place it in a clear bottle so I can see if bubbles are coming up, I don't worry about using a clear tube, but either will work. That is one good thing to point out, though, don't let the master cylinder run out of fluid because not only will you get air in the lines, but you may also cause permanent damage to the master cylinder.
Old 06-11-2004 | 01:53 PM

something to add... Brake fluid (save for DOT5 silicone) is Hydroscopic.. it abosrbs water over time.. even when in a "sealed" system like your brakes.. best to compleatly change the fluid every couple of years to keep your brakes working. Water in the fluid makes the brakes fade faster (the water boils and makes air pockets) and keeps corrosion to a minimum
Old 06-11-2004 | 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i remember using a open-ended metric wrench when i blead the brakes. i may have to look into that vacuum thingy.
Old 06-12-2004 | 07:00 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Go to your local autoparts store and get a "brake bleeder"...it's a tube with a one-way check valve. Then you only have to open the bleeder nut once, and you can do the whole job yourself. I have one and it's the best $14.89 I've spent.
Old 06-12-2004 | 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I may get one, I dunno.

Cysco is gonna help me do that and the exhaust tomorrow.