Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Having A Breaking Problem

Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I was on the the freeway going around 80 miles/h, and I had to slam the brakes hard. The car started to turn sideways while my foot was pressed down, so I depressed the break and pressed it down again quickly to try and fix my angle and with no luck.

My front end was turning to the left, a bit on a 75Degreees. It felt like my left wheel locked, but my right wheel was not locked. Im thinking it's my right caliper, but curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Also I have not yet installed the rotors pads and lines from the GB I ran a couple weeks ago. Been busy so it's a stock braking system.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:42 AM

so exactly what happened? You had one wheel lock and not the other. How did the pedal feel? How is your brake fluid? Did the front wheels pull to one side when you hit the brakes, or did you turn the wheel in an attempt to counteract the pull?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 AM

This only happens if im going 60miles/h or over.

The car pulls to the left and the pedal is to the floor, so it feels hard.

It felt like the left wheel locked, and the right wheel was braking but didn't lock if I used the right terms I'm not sure how else to explain it.

I could use a flush and use some new brake fluild but I planned on doing that when I replace, rotors, pads, and lines.

The wheels turned to one side I guess you could say, I tried counter reacting but I didn't want to turn on the wheel to the right to much because then if I let go of the brakes I would fish tail.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:59 AM

Check the sh*t now, braking problem's can lead to wrecking problems. A friend of mine just had a problem with losing braking power and his right rear brake claw/caliper holder came loose. 2 bolts had gone loose and he had lost all his breaking fluid.

So check if all the stuff is still there and screwed tight. Also check the fluid.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:51 AM

pedal should NOT be to the floor... definatly start with checking your fluid.. then move to each wheel and check for leaks. The only time I ever had such a violent braking reaction was when I blew a rear cylinder in my old Excel.. being a cross diagonal system, I lost braking on the passengerside rear and driver's side front and the car tried to spin.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Check brake pads
Check caliper guide rods (if they stuck - they could prevent caliper to brake with 2 pads)
Check fluid.

Don't use your car, if you had braking problems! It's not worth it!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, if the pedal does go to the floor... bleed that sucker. Thats your problem right there. Check for leaks along the lines and cylinders as well.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:07 PM

Okay guys, it doesn't go to the floor, what I meant to say was, that I press the pedal until it's hard and firm. It doesn't hit the floor because I can't push it that hard lol.

Im going to check in a couple days when the weather gets a bit better. Im going to install the new braking rotors pads and lines, bleed the sucker, and also while the calipers are off im going to check them out.

I'll let you guys know whats up.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:51 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

When calipers are off - it's good opportunity to paint them wink1.gif
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 AM

check all the pieces of the front drivetrain.

maybe the drivetrain has some bad.

maybe the braking system is o´right and the drivetrain is the one with problems..