Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Have You Owned Kyb Gr2 ~and~ Eibach Struts?

Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE DON'T POST IF YOU'VE OWNED OR SIGNIFICANTLY EXPERIENCED ONLY ONE OF THE TWO BRANDS. Thanks but I've searched everywhere and got what I need.

This is for owners of both at some point in time (not necessarily at the same time). I'd like to know what you think. Any preferences? Thinks you liked /didn't like?

There aren't many who've owned both, but your opinions are valuable.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wife's RD1 has a KYBGr2 / Eibach spring combo.

It's the best I've ever felt in a tib.

I've got the Eibach struts and am putting the HKS springs around them. It's not on the car yet though.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:27 AM

I hope my experience with suspension setups help you at least some; right now I have the Eibach springs/GR2 combo on my wife's 97 Elantra (in my experience the Elantra resembles very accurate what happens with the Tib when talking about suspensions) and it's a good combo.

When I first got the springs, I wasn't sure I wanted to put more money in the wife's car, so I installed the Eibach springs with NEW OEM shocks (please don't judge because of this, remember I don't live in the US and because of that I didn't had any GR2 available) well, to make a long story short, that combination was AWFUL, really A-W-F-U-L. We have a lot of bumps and curvy roads here, and the car kept bouncing and transmited a weird feeling when you passed over a small bump in a turn; specially the rear axle. I had to keep it that way for 3 months (then I traveled to the US and bought my set of GR2).
You wouldn't beleive the difference, all weirdness is gone, the car feels good and balanced.

OK, I must admit I like very firm suspensions, almost to the point where they get a little harsh (a little, I am not talking about a racing stiff suspension) and I like the H&R springs/ GR2 combo better; it's firmer and it does NOT have any bounce at all, mucho more controlled than the Eibach/GR2 combo. I am not stating that the H&Rs are better than Eibach, what I beleive is Eibach springs work its best with Eibach dampers, although I haven't tried that combo yet.

So, I could resume all the above in: The Eibach/GR2 is a good combo; however, if you have the extra $200 to get the Eibach dampers also; I think you would have a slightly firmer ride, but overall better.

REDZ: Why don't you put the HKS/GR2 combo on your wife's car and get the full Eibach on your ride?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:36 PM

offtopic.gif I know, so sue me offtopic.gif

The thing is I bought rd1tib's eibach springs and I'm between the eibach struts and kyb struts. I'm sure the eibach's are better and all; but kyb's are $200+ cheaper (hence my delima). It would take me til july/august to save enough for the eibach struts. Unfortunately, patiants is a trate I saverily lack. Once I have a part for my car, i have to put it in. Even if it means playing "sick." Not to mention that any money I have I spend. I can't not spend any money on something. It's so sad. Anyway, it would take maybe one "play" paycheck to get the kyb's no sweat.

My question is: for those that have had the Eibach springs/KYB strut recamend this combo?

(I was going to make this post it's own thread but making it here made more sence. If you don't like it then please delete my post)
Old 05-06-2006, 07:03 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

guys, I think screwdriver wants opinions from people that have owned both kyb gr2 strut and eibach strut, NOT the gr2+eibach springs combo!

QUOTE (Zman @ May 3 2006, 03:27 PM)
So, I could resume all the above in: The Eibach/GR2 is a good combo; however, if you have the extra $200 to get the Eibach dampers also; I think you would have a slightly firmer ride, but overall better.

I don't think that's true, but correct me if i'm wrong. my full eibach setup isn't harsh at all (but better than OEM of course)
Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I have the setup on my car. Its a LOT better than OEM. While i havent seen the other setups, i do like it a whole lot. However, it does seem to ride a lot ruffer than other cars with suspension setups. The very nice thing about it is i almost never bottom out and i can get onto the Sears Alignment machine smile.gif (by about 1-2 cm....) I would recommend the setup for sure. (cant wait till the 19th when my sway bar gets put on... then go have some real fun wink1.gif )
Old 05-06-2006, 11:21 AM

QUOTE (hprockets @ May 6 2006, 08:03 AM)
guys, I think screwdriver wants opinions from people that have owned both kyb gr2 strut and eibach strut, NOT the gr2+eibach springs combo!

Upss you are right! Sorry Screwdriver, I misread your post and understood Eibach springs.

offtopic.gif
The Eibach spring/strut combo sholdn't be rough or harsh; I just think compared to the Ebach-GR2 combo it would be firmer; in my taste the GR2 lack a little more to comply in a really sporty way with Eibachs; they are well ahead over OEM and are not a bad combo at all though.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Thanks to those who posted about the Eibach spring/KYB GR2 set up.

Screwdriver >> I want to first appologize for my posting. I guess it kind of backfired a little. However, you'll definatly get my input on the GR2's asap. Sorry again... ts.gif
Old 05-07-2006, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Zman @ May 3 2006, 09:27 AM)
REDZ: Why don't you put the HKS/GR2 combo on your wife's car and get the full Eibach on your ride?

Well, we probably aren't going to keep her car for one, and two, I don't want to have to do the suspension on 2 different cars. You know, lift hers up, get half the stuff off, swap with mine, and again.

Also, I don't know anyone with the full Eibach setup. I wonder how it is. I got offered a HELL of a price for the HKS springs brand new to try them out and put up a review, and I DO like to have some big name company stuff on my car. Eibach and HKS would both be on my parts listing this way. I also know of no one with the HKS springs, I like to try out new stuff.

So, if someone with Eibach struts and springs can tell me how good the ride is, I MAY go for it if I can get a decent price on the springs.