Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Falken Azenis, Dunlop Star Specs, or Bridgestone RE-11s...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Accent
Default Falken Azenis, Dunlop Star Specs, or Bridgestone RE-11s...

These are my 3 choices for new tires. Anyone have any experience or opinions on them? Would like to see what people think of them before next week, which is when I plan on buying a set. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Falken Azenis there nice, yet, dont plan on driving it the rain and getting any where fast, they hydorplane easily, Yet, there comfy, and pretty sporty. ALSO for a sport tire mine have lasted almost 10k so far, say maybe a few K left.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

RE-11's, Star Spec's, RT-615's...in that order for a street car IMO.

I have RT-615's and have been happy, but there are some things I don't like about them on a street car. Amazingly I have put almost 60k miles on mine, plus that includes something like 20 autox events. I don't know how they're still going. They've hardened up now and don't have anything like the grip they had when new, but they still work. One thing I don't like is that they overheat if pushed for a while on curvy roads. They stay predictable, but your grip is gone. I think that's why they're good drift tires. In their optimal heat range they are good (but honestly not great) but on a daily you're rarely in the optimal heat range, which leads to less predictable handling and braking, especially but not limited to if it's below about 40 degrees outside.

The price is the best part about the RT-615's. Also, since I got mine the compound has changed a bit and the reviews seem to be a bit less critical in the areas I complain about. I haven't driven on a current compound RT-615 though, so I can't say.