Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Excessive Dirtiness

Old 10-20-2005 | 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright, this has been puzzling the Ham for some time now... and have no idea WTF it is. Thinking it has something to do with under the car... thats why its in this section. But I dunno.

My wheels have a a tendency to get excessively dirty. I'm talking looking as if they haven' been cleaned in months... except this happens every few days. I just ruined a completely white T-shirt and turned it black, and I had just cleaned them two days ago. This has been going on since I bought the car. This can't be because of where I live, as my old Tiburon never had this problem. I would go weeks without cleaning my wheels and they would be spotless.

This car does have rust damage, as it was mainly a winter car up in the northeast for the beginning of its life. I don't know if this comes into play or not. I just changed the pads in the rear, and the fronts are 75% still good. All four wheels are dirty, in the same amount I believe, so its not the pads. I also had the rotors resurfaced, they had rust damage and that cleaned them up quite a bit. The calipers themselves are rusted, but overall the braking system goes really well, stops quick when I want it to. None of this has reduced the dirtiness at all.

Any ideas? Anyone had this problem before? I would ask at a shop, but I feel scared at being a dumbass because of something stupid. I'd rather feel like a dumbass over the Internet. nana.gif
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:18 PM

I was going to say the pads for sure. Cheap pads = lots of brake dust = dirty rims. Dirtiness shouldnt be caused from rotors anyway but since yours jsut got resurfaced thats defiantely not the problem. I would say the only thing that could be wrong are the pads and if you have good pads then i dont know what to tell you
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:19 PM

Sounds about right. I have the same problem. I have also had a rough time with my brakes. I used to live in Rochester and the intense cold messes the hole system up. That might explain all the brake dust.
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

it sounds like your pads might be the prolem. check to see if u put the same brand name pads on front and back.
my old geo had the same problem but it was geting the hubcaps dirty so i didnt care much. i dunno what brand pads they were cuz they were on the car when i baught um. after i changed the pads i didnt even notice anymore dirt or black.

so try a diferent brand brake pad
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:23 PM

Ye, I had my Dad pick up some pads for me and didn't really pay any attention... they looked OK but I'm not the master of quality pads. I think he has a tendency to mess up on stuff like that (He took the Tib to the exhaust shop, turns out I got 2.5in outside diameter piping instead of inside diameter piping lmao.gif).

I'll get some high quality shizzle, or just raid the parts Tib for the old pads that were on there.
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

get some axxis metalmasters off ebay.

side note... parts car? i may pm you with a couple things i would like.
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:44 PM

Ye... I bought back the old Tib that got wrecked in August. As long as its not long of a list I mite get the parts for ya... not gonna turn it into a Tibbychick parts car, all things get torn off of it and sold, type thing though. wink1.gif
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:15 PM

yes, My opinion (And I do like quality brakes) is that it is the pads. Move up to either EBC, Axxis, or Hawk and the dust will disappear.
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:54 PM

I have Hawk Performance Pads, and I get TONS of brake dust. Also had a lot of squealing, until I put some anti-squeal on the pads. So yeah, I would look into new pads, but don't get Hawk.
Old 10-21-2005 | 06:22 AM

Odd... because I have Hawk all the way around... and I do not have dust OR squealing. I am not even running the stock anti-rattle shims.