Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Everything About Airbag Suspensions, But Where Afraid To Ask!

Old 07-27-2001, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Design..thanx for props...but like I said in past posts..I'm here to help people out anyway I can. So don't worry about asking me "too many questions" Okay, now onto your answers:

From what I’ve read on airbags, they started out (and continue to be) on tractor trailer rigs to soften the ride. In these “industrial” applications they are used in conjunction with heavy leaf springs and solid axles to support large amounts of weight. Their main purpose is to limit vibrations caused by the unforgiving nature of the suspension, not as a stand-alone replacement.
You're exactly right. The air suspension that is on today's dump trucks, and big rigs, are basically to help soften the ride quality of large cargo that they all tow or haul. When airbags first came out for the sport truck world, they were designed for the rear of trucks only. Mainly because if one were to tow a boat or something, the rear end would sag and it would hurt ride quality, hurt the factory suspension components, and mess up alignment/tire tread. So the bags were called "Helper Springs" so to speak. People would install the bags in between the leaf springs and the frame. When ever they towed something, they would jack up the rear end with air, and everything would be all safe. BUT..leave it to a minitrucker to get the idea to completely remove the suspension so they could lay the truck on the ground, and then raise it up to driving capability.

Have you ever seen airbags used in conjunction with a standard suspension? I am not talking about air shocks for towing. I am more curious to see if anyone has thought of using airbags in the back of the car to help on drag launches?

The thing about air suspensions, are that they are either to be used for towing, or for show purposes. You can't really use any type of air ride for drag racing because there would be too much stress and strain on the bags themselves, causing them to rupture or tear. Even with 4 links, 2 links, roll cages, traction bars, etc....you're still going to have some stress to your suspension pieces.

These “launch bags” (get it lunch bags oh never mind) would not need to support the entire vehicle over extended times and could be more discrete than “wheely” bars to get better traction.

Air Bags are not going to give you better traction. You were right the first time by talking about traction bars. If you really want a car for dragging, you're gonna want to reinforce your frame, your rear axle, put in at least a 2 link, and throw in some traction bars. Now these parts would be for the big time draggers. If you're looking to just stiffen up the suspension in general, get some good quality springs, shocks, and maybe a 2 or 4 link.

Well, I guess that's about it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away! smile.gif
Old 07-27-2001, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

lol, I think we need a forum just for Lo&Show!

Anyways, what happens if the bag does pop or rip? Does your ride just drop? I'm just curious.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by HyundaiJVX:
Anyways, what happens if the bag does pop or rip? Does your ride just drop? I'm just curious.

Basically, you'll have no suspension then. If the bag pops, your ride WILL slam to the ground hard, and you will see one amazing firework and spark display from underneath your ride. sad.gif
Old 12-04-2001, 10:35 AM

lo&sho is it possible to have a removable roof section like the supra did in the fast and furious? if its not outrageously exspensive ill def be gettin it and what kinda shop would be able to do something like that?
Old 12-04-2001, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Your talking about a Targa Top. I've done this conversion on a few cars, and a few trucks as well. If you know who RavDav is from the forums, Igave him step by step instructions on how do this mod. He as of now, is the only person with a Tiburon that has a Targa. If you have any further questions about it, email me and I'll hook ya up. L8TR....

BTW..didn't think anyone was gonna revive this post! *lol* wink.gif
Old 04-12-2002, 06:53 AM

Turboman1:
Hey man your car has an awful look.is it really so low?I think that air suspension is cool but not nice look!!!Dont be pissed its just an opinion

removed full quote.
It looks kinda of weird because you can't see the whole tires, it's so damn low. A little body work, ie: expanding the wheel wells should get rid of that . . .
Old 04-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Administrator

HOLY CRAP! Way to bring up an old post! *lol* The pic in my sig is just an animated .gif that's a rendition of what my car USED to look like. It's not my actual car. It's a different color, and it has different rims, and it sits WAY lower. tongue.gif