Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Everything About Airbag Suspensions, But Where Afraid To Ask!

Old 05-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Clownboy.... okay, to answer your questions..here goes:

could you explain how the system works?? for example: the air comp. fills up the tank and the tank runs the air to the bags???

You have an air tank that has air lines running to 4 individual air bags or air rods. Connected to the tank you have a compressor that keeps the the tank filled up at all times.

and how many times can you drop and lower your car before you're outta air?? or does the compressor keep tank full at all times??

You can drop and raise the car as many times you want. The compressor kicks on any time you use your air suspension to air UP. It does this because you always want a constant amount of air at your disposal so you can air up at any time.

how long does it take for compressor to fill up a tank and what size of tank works best?? (ie. what is the major differences between tanks sizes)

If you have a small air tank, it's going to run out air quickly and ut alot of stress on your compressor. The same thing if you have a large tank, but a small compressor. Depending on what type of application you choose to go with, you can do anything from a 3 gallon tank all the way up to a 7 gallon. As far as compressors go, you can get anywhere from a 1/5 horsepower up to a 3/4 horsepower. The more powerful the compressor, the faster your air tank is gonna fill up.

is the compressor loud and annoying as hell when it comes on??

It is somewhat loud. If you have ever heard hydraulics in action, it's not too much louder than that. That's another reason why you would want a large compressor with your set up. The larger the compressor, the faster it's gonna fill up your reserves, and it won't be on as long.

and if you were to hit the switches to lower your car, are the switches set to a specific drop?? and do you get to pick that specific drop??? or do you just tell by going off of an air pressure gauge??

The switches are not set to a specific drop. You can either get basic pressure switches with gauges, or you can get the same type of set up I have, which is with a 10 switch pre-wired hydraulic box. Both types of switches are mometary. If you want your car to air all the way up, then you hold the switch up until you get there.

I hope I answered your questions. If you have any further ones, don't hesitate to ask. That's why I'm here. TURBOMAN....that's cool if that's your opinion. I actually give people more respect by voicing their opinions as long as it's all within reason. That's what make sport compacting, lowriding, minitruckin, hot rodding, etc.. special. People have the choice to build their rides to their own liking. Everyone will always have something unique that will turn heads, whether it's good or bad. Never stop building your ride a certain way because of what someone else says. Just go with what makes you happy.

L8TR....... wink.gif
Old 05-21-2001, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man so how do you know when you lower it if all the sides are even? what if ur driving around all lop sided? ahahah
Old 05-21-2001, 01:48 PM

and how do you know that youre not going to lower it too much and crack your body kit?
Old 05-21-2001, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Tibmanx....well, basic set ups usually have either 2 swtiches for independent front and back or 4 switches for either individual conrol or F-B-Side2Side. Those types of control panels you can get with gauges to see how much air is going in or going out. And if it's STILL too much to figure out, just get out and look!

Yam...that's just a chance you take. One thing about air suspension is that when you dump the air (lower) it doesn't slam to the ground like how you can have hydraulics do. It's very settle, and if you go with the fast air set up, you can control the dump with the electric solenoids. Hope this helps. C-ya...... wink.gif tongue.gif smile.gif
Old 05-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Administrator

HEY..I just realized too that I'm no longer a JUNIOR member. Whoo-hoo! I assume that happens once you hit the 100 post mark? Actually, I hope that is the case because I don't want people crying about how they're still Junior members! rolleyes.gif *hahaha* Sorry...couldn't help myself. L8TR.....
Old 05-21-2001, 11:31 PM

Yea-eaah!! The century club *lol*

M1K3
Old 07-26-2001, 12:39 PM

sorry to dig up this old thread, but i got the new issues of lowrider euro and import racer a couple weeks ago and it got me thinkin and i came up with a few more questions.

on page 10 of lowerider the toyota solara with the air bags, it says that it has eibach springs and bilstein struts. so all the bags replace are the shocks???

what parts do the air rods replace???

what other mods could you add to beef up your suspension to make it more racer friendly??? strut tower bars?? roll cage???

on page 34 of import racer there is a hybrid civic with a teg engine pushin' 253hp with blow jacks. whats the most hp car you know of sporting air rods??? some day id be hoping for around 300 wheel hp. could air rods and some other suspension mods handle the stress or im i loony in the head???

what air rod brand would you suggest??? ive only seen blow jax, and i seen that www.the-hack-shack.com offers some and ive seen EAI. what would be best as far as stability, performance, and quality??

do you know what kind of air system that lil white car(del sol??) in the fast and the ferious was using??

and finally, kinda off the subject, but also in lowrider euro, that chic that has that orange civic with the suicide trunk and hood and has the lamborghini/#1 stunna syle doors. how much does something like that cost???(the doors that is) that is hella sic. my friend said that it would cost him around 10g to get them on his 94' stang due to how heavy his doors were.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Holy crap...lots of question. I haven't seen any of the cars in the magazines you said you were looking at, so ok...here goes:

on page 10 of lowerider the toyota solara with the air bags, it says that it has eibach springs and bilstein struts. so all the bags replace are the shocks???
what parts do the air rods replace???

This can't be right. Air bags take the place of your main suspension parts. In a car, it will take up the entire strut/shock assembly. So who ever wrote that in the magazine screwed up because it's impossible to have springs and shocks WITH airbags. Unless, they did some out of control crazy mod that allows this. But even if they did, the car wouldn't be able to go any lower than whatever the set drop on the springs are.

what other mods could you add to beef up your suspension to make it more racer friendly??? strut tower bars?? roll cage???
You can add these, and it will help a little but because of the fact that you are replacing your suspension parts with small rubber bags of air, you will always have some kind of shifting when you take off in a race. The only thing that will help a little is installing air rods instead of air bags...but you will still have some shifting.

on page 34 of import racer there is a hybrid civic with a teg engine pushin' 253hp with blow jacks. whats the most hp car you know of sporting air rods??? some day id be hoping for around 300 wheel hp. could air rods and some other suspension mods handle the stress or im i loony in the head???

A little different cars are able to fabricate an air suspension into their rides. For example, here's 1948 Ford Coupe that's running a full air ride..BUT it also has some other word done to the suspension like a 4 bar (4 link) set up in the rear, and an 8 inch rear end.

Also, here's 1995 Impala running straight air rods with some rear end re-inforcement and a 2 link:

So basically, air suspensions are able to withstand big engine cars and max horsepower rides. Just depends on how much money and time you want to put into the project to make it multi-functional.

what air rod brand would you suggest??? ive only seen blow jax, and i seen that www.the-hack-shack.com offers some and ive seen EAI. what would be best as far as stability, performance, and quality??

AIM Industries also sells custom air suspension parts. I've dealt with them for awhile, and I've gotten to know they're products VERY well with not only my own kits, but for kits that I've installed on other peoples vehicles.

do you know what kind of air system that lil white car(del sol??) in the fast and the ferious was using??
No idea. It was definitly a "Fast Air" set up. *read the beginning of this post above on what this is*

and finally, kinda off the subject, but also in lowrider euro, that chic that has that orange civic with the suicide trunk and hood and has the lamborghini/#1 stunna syle doors. how much does something like that cost???(the doors that is) that is hella sic. my friend said that it would cost him around 10g to get them on his 94' stang due to how heavy his doors were.

Those doors are called Butterfly Doors. They are indeed expensive, and it does take an extensive amount of work to get this to happen. As for price, it depends on the shop. This is a rare and complicated mod to do, so it will be very pricey to have done. For thos of you that are not afraid to do a mod like that yourself, keep an eye over at FxTreme because I'm writing up a FAQ section for Bry on:

- Custom Paint Jobs
- Airbrushing
- Custom Suspensions (Air, Hydraulics, lowering springs, coil overs)
- Molding/Frenching/Suiciding/Shaving
- How to do Gullwing, suicide and butterfly doors

Hope I answered your questions. If you have any more, let me know..and I'll try and help out any way I can.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:36 AM

Lo&Show..
First you are very informative. I would like to thank you before I go on to ask any questions. It must take a lot of your time to do these extensive write-ups. Okay enough ass kissing on with the questions.
From what I’ve read on airbags, they started out (and continue to be) on tractor trailer rigs to soften the ride. In these “industrial” applications they are used in conjunction with heavy leaf springs and solid axles to support large amounts of weight. Their main purpose is to limit vibrations caused by the unforgiving nature of the suspension, not as a stand-alone replacement. This brings me to my question.
This more relates to Random’s “if I were a ricey racer” hypothetical questions. Have you ever seen airbags used in conjunction with a standard suspension? I am not talking about air shocks for towing. I am more curious to see if anyone has thought of using airbags in the back of the car to help on drag launches? Unlike traction bars placed under the leaf springs of old domestics, the airbags could be returned to a more pleasurable ride height for every day driving. These “launch bags” (get it lunch bags oh never mind) would not need to support the entire vehicle over extended times and could be more discrete than “wheely” bars to get better traction.
Now I turn to the know-it-all of pneumatics. What do you think?