Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Everything About Airbag Suspensions, But Where Afraid To Ask!

Old 05-09-2001, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Random....I'll answer your questions later tonight...by seeing what questions you asked, I don't think you're gonna like the answers. Remember, any type of auto adjusting suspensions (i.e. bags/rods, hydros, airshocks, etc..) are purely for show and not for racing. It can be done, but is highly not recomended. I'll answer the rest later....c-ya dude!
Old 05-10-2001, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Okay, to answer Random's questions:

Would the airbag suspension hold up to this kind of abuse?

Some people are able to race with airbags. It all depends on how well of a job you do installing them. If you're really thinking about racing the car or doing some serious speed events with it, then go with an air rod suspension. The rods won't shift as much and your suspension will stay in tact.

What is the "life expectancy" of an airbag supension setup?

It all depends on your installation. If you install airbags improperly, they'll rub against other suspension parts, or your frame, and they'll tear. As far as air rods go, they last a bit longer only because they're an actual hard piece of suspension. On a minor note, depending on how good your air lines, and the air line fittings are...you might have some air loss. I remember doing an airbag set up on a guys s-10 about a year ago and he would get pissed because he would have his truck fully aired up at night, and in the morning when he came out, the truck would be laying flat on the ground. He bought real cheap air lines and fittings so there was some air loss. Nothing major, just more of a pain.

How much weight does an airbag setup add?

Very little. Not like hydraulics where you have the pumps and all the battery's. This is another reason why people tend to go the air route instead of juice. There's ALOT less weight. The most heaviest part to an air suspension are the air tanks themselves. You can get different size tanks ranging anywhere from 1.5 to 5 gallon. If you want a real fast air set up that will allow you to hop the car, you can add a co2 or scuba tank.

Could I make the suspension really hard for track events and make it soft for street driving?

No. An air suspension whether it be bags or rods is designed to make your ride very low to the ground while giving you an above average ride quality.

Could I raise the rear and lower the front for Drag Lauches?

Sure..but look at the answer to question #1.

Would it still work with aftermarket swaybars?

Depends on the set up you have. If you only do front or back, yes. If you want to do all the moves that a 10 switcher or 4 switcher does, then no. Only because sway bars are designed so your car doesn't shift from side2side. If you have 10 or 4 switches and you try to do a side2side move with sway bars...ummm....well...lets just say you're gonna hear a really nasty noise and not gonna be too happy with what happened.

Would a quality airbag setup be a viable option over $2000 to $3000 full coilover/strut race setups?

Depends on what you're going for. If you only want to lower your car 2-3 inches and still be able to race, but have a somewhat decent ride quality, then no. BUT, if you want to be able to slam your car to the ground, have an above average ride quality, then yeah. Also, airbags are cheaper than coilovers..as of now anyway. A full complete fast bag/rod kit will run around $1700. A slow air kit will run you around $1200.

Do the airbag setups adjust the camber as you raise and lower the car?

Would I end up needing a new alighment by going up down up down 10 times a weekend for autocross events?

I'm gonna answer these together. When ever you have an adjustable suspension, you will always lose your alignment when you go down or back up. BUT...lets say your alignment is set when the suspension is at a 2" lowered ride height. When ever you bring your ride back up or down to that height, your alignment will go back to where ever you set it. So you lose your alignment when ever you change the height. To get it back to where it was set perfectly, change your height back to it.

If anyone has any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Whether it be about air suspension, hydraulics, custom body work (suicide doors, shaving things, frenching things, etc..) I'm here to help any way I can. That's what these forums are for. To make sure everyone gets the most correct knowledge available about creating their buildup. Good luck. L8TR....
Old 05-11-2001, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In other words, this kind of set-up is for show. If you want to race you use coilovers.

This airbag setup costs as much as coilovers. They are more or less the same price. Well, that;s going from what the prices of the airbag suspension that was mentioned.

If you race I would just stick with coilovers. You can adjust the height but also adjust the damper. That's very important when racing.

I would be too scared to use that airbag set-up and have one of them pop or something. I'll stick to the more proven method of using coilovers.

I'm not bashing the airbag set-up, I hope I didn't sound that way. Coilovers sound more ideal though. Maybe one day that will all change though, who knows.
Old 05-19-2001, 05:53 PM

hey lo&show, so air rods are 1200 also for the slow ones? such compilicated stuff. how do you kno where exactly to set the height at? i dun think i can trust any mechanic to put those on for me especially cuz they're so easy to mess up. but it sounds bad as hell. oh yeah and wut is frenching and suicide doors? thanks man.
Old 05-19-2001, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Tibmanx...The air rods are real easy to install. If you can take out your struts and install new ones, then you can install air rods yourself. All the electrical stuff is pretty easy also. As far as suiciding items on your car, that's when the item (you're suiciding) opens backwards. So to suicide a door, that means it will open from the front of the car instead of the rear. Hope this helps. L8TR....
Old 05-21-2001, 12:30 AM

oh damn, dats freakin awesome!! u can do that? holy crap. oh my god. dats something i'd like to do definately. how much does it cost?
Old 05-21-2001, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by TiBmAnX:
oh damn, dats freakin awesome!! u can do that? holy crap. oh my god. dats something i'd like to do definately. how much does it cost?

I'm a little confused on your question. How muc do the air rods run or suiciding things on your car? Air Rods are anywhere from $1200 and up depending on what you want to do and how fast you want them to air up. As far as suiciding things, I would only recommend you having a someone with alot of experience doing this type of mod. If you do it yourself and it doesn't go as planned, you're not going to like the outcome. In order to suicide the doors, the hardest parts in doing this mod is 1) hanging the doors and making sure they line up perfectly, and 2) aligning/welding in new door hinges/lock mechanisms.

As far as suiciding hoods (where it opens forward instead of up), that's not too hard of a mod. Usually people can do this on their own without too much hassle. With our cars though, you will actually have to develop and design a whole new type of hinge assembly. You will have to take the lock mechanism out and transfer it to the where your windshield wipers are. I think there are a couple of places that sell hinge assemblies pre-fabricated for people who want to do this mod. If you're interested, I'll try and find the sites that sell them and post the link. Otherwise, with yourself and a couple of handy friends around, you can do this mod in a weekend.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:40 AM

i was actually askin the price for suicidin doors. sorry for not being clear man. and uh.. im definately not gonna install anythin like that on my own. i dunno jack basically. thanks for all the info though dude.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:54 AM
Administrator

As far as price goes, it just depends on the shop and how much experience they have on doing it. Pretty much any reputable HOT ROD shop should be able to do it since it's a favorite mod within the hot rod community. The shop I used to work for charged anywhere from $900-$1200 depending on the application. And that price is for each door. If youwant to get even crazier, you can do butterfly doors (like a Lamborghini) or a gullwing doors (like a Delorean). I'm not even gonna get in depth with what's involved on those mods because your talking some serious welding and metal work to have those mods done. Plus not only it being expensive, you can be assured you'll be without your car for a good couple of months. Suiciding doors (depending on the shop) really shouldn't take much longer than a week (7-9 days) for each door being done.
Old 05-21-2001, 04:25 AM

hey lo&show, any update if and when SR is ganna offer your kits??? and did you fix your rubbing problem?? im dieing to get some bags man, (not that i can afford it right now) but i think im ganna go in the route of the rods, sounds a lil more stable for racing. now for a couple of questions.

could you explain how the system works?? for example: the air comp. fills up the tank and the tank runs the air to the bags???

and how many times can you drop and lower your car before you're outta air?? or does the compressor keep tank full at all times??

how long does it take for compressor to fill up a tank and what size of tank works best?? (ie. what is the major differences between tanks sizes)

is the compressor loud and annoying as hell when it comes on??

and if you were to hit the switches to lower your car, are the switches set to a specific drop?? and do you get to pick that specific drop??? or do you just tell by going off of an air pressure gauge??

thanks man, and keep up the good work on your ride. looks sic, cant wait to see new pics