Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Crazy Sound Coming From Rear Of Car.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imagine a chirping sound..now imagine it coming from my rear wheels...or wheel..cant tell which..I dont know what it could be..its not like a while, but a chirp....and its not constant, its like chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp...real fast...idk kinda hard to describe...

any ideas?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:55 PM

Could be your rotors....
just had to get mined replaced for $800AUD due to the rotor being grinded away... had the same chirping sound sad.gif
Old 11-20-2005, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I agree. Get your brakes checked.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:48 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

do you have dirs or drums rear brake setup?

is it speed related noise?

have you noticed, is it becomes louder in turns?

how long ago did you change brake pads?

did you do wheel balancing?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

answer all of Dmitry's questions...

I assume you have rotors, since I don't know of any 2001 Tibs that came with drums... do you have any scratches in them or places where they may have been dug out by low pads?

When was the last time you changed brake pads?

Some oil change places will do a free brake inspection. Might be a good idea to have someone look at it, but have them show you what's wrong with it, don't take their word.

You said it sounded like a chirping sound... I'm guessing it's a brake pad that's REALLY worn down and hitting the rotor in a specific spot (revolutions causing the chirp). Mine sounded like that and I just needed new brake pads. If it's been going on too long, you might need new rotors as well as new pads.

If you need new rotors, I suggest getting some drilled and/or slotted rotors from RotorPros. They've held a few group buys here and had several satisfied customers. If you do need new rotors, contact Rich at rotorpros@yahoo.com and tell him majikTib sent you. Maybe he'll give you a better deal knowing I referred you. If he won't give you a good deal, contact Chris (blacktibs) on the site, and he'll get you RotorWorks rotors.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 AM

yeah I think my pads are toast.

ok heres a really noobish question.. I dont know much about how brake systems work, but I do know how to replace pads. I do not know whether my car has brakes in the front back or both...how does it work? whats the layout..sorry for sounding like an idiot, but im more of an electrical kinda guy.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

if you have a 2001 Tiburon, you have Disc brakes on front and back. Go to AutoZone or any auto parts store, buy some brake pads ($20-$65 for the back probably, depending on what you buy) and take them somewhere to get installed. Our brakes seem a little tricky.
I always have a slight problem getting them on and off, but I think it's a problem specifically with my car and a little trouble caused from a few years back (twisted frame) 02.gif
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM

I see you are right at the top of Deleware. That is about an hour or so from me. If you can hold off a week, I might be able to come out that way. Not this weekend (the one after Thanksgiving, I have a fiat to pick up) but the one after) give me a PM and maybe I can swing by and give you a hand with the brakes. They are not difficult.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 PM

is there anything else it could be?