Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Camber question

Old 11-02-2010 | 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Accent
Default Camber question

I was a noob and gave my rear wheels more negative camber than my front ones and then got an alignment. What is the downside to this? Increased understeer?

I asked my mechanic to adjust my camber bolts to specific settings which had higher negative camber in the front but the front bolts barely gave way at all. The guy put the front ones as much as they would go which was roughly nothing at all but put the back ones all the way to the setting I asked for and then aligned it. Would adjusting my rear sway bar so its a higher mm help alleviate some of the understeer from the camber settings or am I an idiot?
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

How wide are the tires you're running? The only reason I can fathom you would need extra negative camber for on the street is rear fender clearance.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

when i was at the shop, i told people to put NO MORE than .5 a degree neg on a street driven vehicle

that is, unless you like tire wear

its dumb to do that kinda alignment on a daily driver your not at the track every day
Old 11-04-2010 | 03:10 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Originally Posted by WRC_Accent
I was a noob and gave my rear wheels more negative camber than my front ones and then got an alignment. What is the downside to this? Increased understeer?

I asked my mechanic to adjust my camber bolts to specific settings which had higher negative camber in the front but the front bolts barely gave way at all. The guy put the front ones as much as they would go which was roughly nothing at all but put the back ones all the way to the setting I asked for and then aligned it. Would adjusting my rear sway bar so its a higher mm help alleviate some of the understeer from the camber settings or am I an idiot?

First thing we need to know here is, why did you request that setting and what are your goals for the car? Without knowing that, it'd be hard to say anything really productive.