Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Brake Or Wheel Bearing Issue?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I know the answer but thought I'd look for a little feedback from the pros...

Finished rotating the tires and took the Tib out for a quick spin. During the ride, I could hear a slight grinding noise from the back left wheel at low speeds when cutting to the right. I swayed side to side and the noise was exclusive to the left side; the noise would stop if I applied the brakes or parking brake while cutting right.

I'm thinking it has to be a brake issue.... what would it be? Dirt trapped behind the pads? I changed the rear brakes (rotors & pads) last November and have only done 6000 miles (10,000 kms) since. My only concern is that I've read so much about wheel bearings on Tiburons. Any chance this could be a bearing issue?

Thanks - NMT
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 AM

I used to had a similar problem. It came out that it was a bearing issue.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 AM

I believe it is most likely a caliper/drum issue. Turning to one side is causing something to rub against it.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 AM

when I had a rear bearing going bad, turning TOWARDS the side that was making the noise would silence it. I believe this was because I was unloading the suspension in that corner. Conversly, turning away from that corner made the noise even worse.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM

Well, I took her apart and found that the inner brake pad was not making full contact with the rotor; it was only grabbing on half the surface, from the hub to the middle of the rotor surface. Took everything apart, cleaned the rotors and brake pad surfaces (with brake cleaner) & sandpapered off the corrosion and grime. This time, I applied a touch of anti-seize to the clips that hold the pads in the calipers - the pads were not moving freely and required some incentive to come out during disassembly. Anyways, she's fine now and no grinding noise when cornering.

I'm not quite sure why the inner pad was not making full contact with the rotor... any input? Could it have been from the corrosion and lack of movement on the clips?