Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

ball joint question

Old 05-24-2011 | 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default ball joint question

may sound stupid but i swapped out both lower ball joints on the car and was wondering if they need to be greased or if they are good out of the box. i see a place for the grease fitting but i know from the past that usually if they need to be greased after install then they will come with a grease fitting in the box but mine didnt. just looking for peace of mind thanks.
Old 05-24-2011 | 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I just recently replaced my outer tie rod end, it was not greased out of the box and came with a threaded hole and a grease fitting. if its sealed like the oem ones are then they are already greased, but if theres a hole and no fitting then you're missing parts.
Old 05-24-2011 | 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Sonata

I think you are referring to the kind with a plastic plug in the grease hole. I've used them. They are greased through that hole at the factory and then just plugged and shipped. Probably saves them a buck or two to not have anybody installing the fittings. You can run them like they are and then someday when you want to grease them again, just get some fittings with the tapered threads and install them.