Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

About Coilovers And Oversteer

Old 04-10-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i have coilovers and set the rears stiffer than the fronts, will it cause my car to oversteer? assuming im talking about full race coilovers and the spring rates are set pretty much the same except the dampening in the rears are stiffer.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

ok, the rule of thumb is that the back is softer then the frount, Why well i did that i set F/R hard not a good ideal, like driveing on snow" no control" so i play with the setting all day and i drove and tested the best that work Imop is i had the shock in the frout set to the mid point about 7 and the rear 5 . if you go to hard in the rear you will slip and spin out under hard cornners because the back is light as hell but this is my edxperiance and i am shareing with you if you have any other questions ask away
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Mad_john @ Apr 11 2005, 02:19 AM)
ok, the rule of thumb is that the back is softer then the frount, Why well i did that i set F/R hard not a good ideal, like driveing on snow" no control" so i play with the setting all day and i drove and tested the best that work Imop is i had the shock in the frout set to the mid point about 7 and the rear 5 . if you go to hard in the rear you will slip and spin out under hard cornners because the back is light as hell but this is my edxperiance and i am shareing with you if you have any other questions ask away

so basically what i said is right? setting the rears stiffer than the fronts will cause the car to oversteer?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 PM

It all depends on what you do.

For example, if you always do sharp turns under 55mph, then stiffer rear is better. if you take curves above that then the front should be stiffer. Too soft in the rear will cause oversteer, too hard understeer.

By setting front or back stiffer will impact which 2 wheels will lift upon torsion first. If you set the rear stiffer, at corner entry, the rear will remain flat whie the front will twist causing the inside tire to lose some grip. The rear tires have a good grip and pushes you into understeer. If the front is stiffer than at corner entry, the front tires will remain flat, more grip. The inside rear wheel will lose some traction. So if the difference front/rear is too great, oversteer.

To properly setup a set of coilovers, you should get the car corner balanced to adjust height on every corner. Then, experiment with different spring rates and front/rear ratios.

You can also redistribute weight by putting your battery in the trunk. It's a 40-50lbs that you take from the front corner to the opposite corner at the back.