Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

97 Calipers Dont Fit With New Non Capt. Hubs

Old 06-16-2006 | 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Dude, don't sell the tib because a part didn't fit correctly. Call up EBC and b**** them out.
Old 06-16-2006 | 05:07 PM

thanks guys. well here is the deal.

i bought a new 2001 caliper and test fitted it...worked perfectly with the rotor and the two large pads.

believe it or not, the 2001 caliper is 1/8" bigger than the RD1 tibs. I've ordered another caliper to finish the installation tommorrow. it fits perfectly with exactly no gap and enough play for the rotor to spin well.

i wish i knew this before...i could of bought some calipers with the new hubs. oh well..you live and learn

Redz... there are a couple of bolts that are different sizes than those mentioned in your DIY and I'd like to add a few things to it also concerning the tie rod ends, brake lines, and bushings for those who want to change them at the same time.

the OTHER new caliper should be here tommorrow morning so I can have it installed and flushed this weekend and get my new rims installed on monday.

now we have another fact to add to the list.

RD1 and RD2 calipers are different. not much but they are. cool.gif

oh...and i dont know why they would have different size pads when they're going to wear evenly. mine are all the exact same size.
Old 06-16-2006 | 05:10 PM

well, there is a reason I do not use EBC.. I much prefer hawk
Old 06-16-2006 | 05:12 PM

i never heard of anything bad about ebc so i decided to try them.

oh well. wacha gon do.
Old 06-16-2006 | 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Long, post what you need to in that thread in the DIY section. Some of it was just from memory.

Thanks.

As for the calipers, I bet you MONEy it's a Rev A thing.
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:47 AM

^^
Yeah, it's that (RevA thing) or that Hyundai is not too precise on it's tolerances... as I said, I also installed EBC Greenstuff pads on my 1st gen with Rotora slotted rotors and they fit perfectly, more tight than a OEM brake pad, but with enough clearence for the rotor to spin freely; so I would be more inclined to think it's a Hyundai thing rather than a EBC thing.

Anyway, now that you will install your new setup, don't get over exited, let those rotors-pads settle calmly, and then after they have, let us know how good you feel your brakes (my bet is your gonna be extra happy).

Have you done this upgrade for the rears also?
Old 06-17-2006 | 05:56 PM

Redz...ill post it soon.

Z. yeah i just got them installed today. They look great and the breaking in period should be okay.

I havent done the rear because I have drums. I do have the hubs/rotors etc to do the replacement but I don't plan on doing it soon because of all the problems I ran into with these.

It'll be another upgrade in the next month or so. This time i'll make sure I have what I need before I start messing around.

Brakes look great and i'll post pics after the weekend.

still sucked doing this shit though cool.gif