Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

97 Calipers Dont Fit With New Non Capt. Hubs

Old 06-15-2006 | 12:41 PM

Well I finally got my rotors and pads in yesterday and attempted to install the new hubs and everything.

I ran into many problems but needless to say the one that is aggin me the most is the stock caliper isnt large enough to go over the new Greenstuff Pads (that are thick as hell) and the new EBC dimple/slotted rotors.

Its like 1/8-3/8" to smal to clear the new rotor and pads. The caliper was fully compressed and even if I pounded it on the rotor wouldnt beable to move because its so tight.

While I was pounding the hub to remove it on one side the f***in piston flew out the caliper so I plan on buying a new one anyways and wanted to know if the calipers are different.

Has anyone else had this type of experience. I read the post with nightshark but nothing really helped.

I know I can use the stock calipers with pads that are smaller but since everything is new could taht be the problem?
Old 06-15-2006 | 02:39 PM

EBC pads are considerably thicker than OEM, I know mine fit on the limit when new, but never had such severe fitting problems, even my discs are aftermarket too (Rotora slotted).
Maybe it's the EBC rotors which are too thick? because 3/8 is really not a small gap...
Old 06-15-2006 | 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I had no issues with pads after my swap.
Old 06-15-2006 | 03:23 PM

stupid question, but how did u compress the piston on the caliper?
Old 06-15-2006 | 04:57 PM

something to look out for on the EBC pads.. I found this out the hard way.. there are two DIFFERENT thickness pads. One of each for each wheel. If you put both thick pads on the same brake, it is not going to spin.
Old 06-15-2006 | 10:12 PM

yeah I dont get it. The pads are all equal size. Swapping them out doesnt change it.

to compress the caliper you can use a c clamp with a piece of wood

can you reuse a caliper after the piston has fallen out?

if the rotors and pads are made by ebc wouldnt they make them work correclty together?
Old 06-16-2006 | 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, are you sure you got the right pads? This shouldn't be happening. Same on BOTH sides?

How the hell did the piston fall out?!? LOL I've never seen that.
Old 06-16-2006 | 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you pump the brakes with no pad in the piston will extend until it falls out.
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:13 AM

yeah all the pads are the exact size. the part number and on the box say it goes for the tiburon.

yeah well the i was working on both sides at the same time and my friend pumped on the brakes and while i was pounding the hub it flew out.

what bs. im gonna sell the tib
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:28 AM

you know this is odd. The one time I used EBC green stuff, I had a similar problem. They shipped me three thick pads and one skinny (relativly speaking) on the side with the "skinny" pad, I had no problems. I was able to get the two thicker pads to work on the other side.. but I quickly warped the rotor and destroyed the bearing from too much drag generated heat.

Piston should be ok, but check it for dirt or other contaiminants.. and check out the seals in the caliper too. Most you can slide the piston right back in.