Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

8mm Spacers

Old 03-18-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any website that sells the 8mm spacers? I know I can do the captive swap, but I'll do it later, my turbo project is eating all my cash. I did a search on the forum. I could try my local "autozone", but its a 30min drive... So if I can order it somewhere it would be great.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:37 AM

You have two choices:

1) H&R Hub Centric - 5mm spacers. Then, drill the head of your captive bolts by 2mm. They WILL fit fine after that without any compromise to safety. If it were any more than a couple mm, I wouldn't have done it. But the bolts look fine after 10K miles of driving. smile.gif

2) Shark Racing 10mm Hub Centric Spacers. Not 8mm, but the closest you're gonna get.

Whatever you decide, know that even with these hubcentrics, your car is gonna shake at higher speeds. Best to go for a captive swap IMO.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon Fx

i just bought some 10 mm spacers off ebay for $25 shipped to my house, i took them down to my local shop and they just did alittle (like 5 mins) modifications and they fit perfect now and my wheels fit fine and the lugs nut are tight enough so they dont fall off

just search 10mm spacers on ebay
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM

Do NOT use lug centric spacers like the one's you get on Ebay. Use Hubcentric spacers ONLY. To my knowledge, only the above stated manufacturers make Hub Centric Spacers for our cars.

The cheapo Ebay spacers will put all the load on the lug nuts and will make it VERY unsafe to drive.

Search around for this.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

You can still use the cheap spacers but it would be best to also buy hub-centric rings or have some made so that they stay centered & offer sufficient support for the rim on the hub.

That said, I had 8mm cheapo spacers on my car for months a little while back & didn't have any issues with them, even driving on freeways and whatnot.

Although... My CV joints went in October of last year so that may or may not have been related wink1.gif
Old 03-24-2006, 04:37 AM

shaking at high speeds? hope not, i am lookin at gettin the 25 mm spacers for my tib sometime soon ( next few months) before i hit NURBURGRING here in germany. i want the track to be 2 in. wider, for handling, and hell yeah looks too! you guys saying its unsafe? cuz H&R manufactures them and guarantees their safety, and i trust em pretty good.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

i was thinking about buying those kind of wheel spacer to.... sharkwing or H&R about 10mm .... but people over here says it's crap putting tomuch stress on the lugs... and it's better for the wheel to be as close as possible to the pivot point i think ? so would a wheel a +35mm offset be a better solution ? insted of the +45mm stock ?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 AM

I am kinda resurrecting this post but; Hubcentric spacers do NOT put stress on the lugs.
There are cars that use hubcentric wheels and cars that do not require hubcentric wheels.
On a hubcentric setup, the wheel actually rests and acts (and therefore transmit effort) on the hub itself, the function of the lugs is to merely keep the wheel against the hub surface, but the studs DO NOT do any other job than that. So, if you use NON-Hubcentric wheels you make those studs do a job they were not designed for and they could brake (with your car moving at 60MPH for example).
If you put NON-Hubcentric spacers on our cars, it´s like you are converting your wheels to NON-Hubcentric, you DO NOT want to do it.

H&R Hubcentric spacers should be alright precisely because they are designed hubcentric.

What I don't understand is why they should generate any vibration at all, Screwdriver, are you sure the vibration was not coming from your tires/wheels or even rotors? Also, are you sure your spacers were brand new and OK? A set of good spacers (without any "custom" modification) should not generate vibration or whatever, they are suposed to be balanced from the factory; but if they hit hard the floor or other objects with poor packaging they could get a little unbalanced.

I am really curious about your problem Screwdriver...
Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I dunno mang, the RD I've got had one lug snapped off RIGHT at the spacer.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 AM

Was it a OEM stud? Maybe the thicker spacers that come with their own set of larger studs use stronger studs... it is an interesting question to be answered for all of us to know...