Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

2 ?'s rough ride, drilled vs slotted

Old 03-12-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default 2 ?'s rough ride, drilled vs slotted

what can be installed to make the ride quality a little better in our tibs. you'll have to agree that it's pretty shitty. i read that eibach springs and kyb struts make it a little better .. but is there anything (besides an airride) that is cost-effective to make the ride a lot better?

also, wondering what the major differences (pros/cons) are between slotted rotors and drilled+slotted rotors. i know that the drilled have more of a chance to crack and break, but that's pretty rare right? is there a big performance difference between the two? how is just slotted compared to oem?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

drilled rotors will start to crack
mine are cracked right now there not broken but they are cracking by the holes

i would and am going to just buy a set of slotted only the reason they started using drilled was to vent the brake pad gasses which on a newer vehicle with some nice pads the gas wont really happen

and i have kyb gr2 and eibach springs
i love the ride and my car even takes speed bumps better than stock even though its lower
Old 03-12-2005, 10:58 AM

lowering springs NEVER make a ride quality better (unless you like the rough ride).. If you want a better ride, go spend 10k more on a sports car, or buy a luxury car.. Our cars have sport type suspensions, they arent made for a great ride..

Ive never heard of rotors breaking/cracking without excessive wear, although theres always some rare instances where craftsmanship is skimped on..
Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Like it or not, drilled rotors WILL crack. This is why companies like Porsche and Brembo CAST their holes into the disc.. they are NOT drilled.

As for the ride, I am not quite following you. A stock tib has a typical ride for the type of car it is. A sporty two door coupe. The Elantra rides better, but handles worse because it is more biased towards comfort. Going to sport springs and struts will lesson the ride, making it rougher at slow slow speeds, but it will tighten it up at high speeds were the car typically wallows over bumps in the road.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Tib's ride is actually very good compared to other cars in its class as long as the suspension and tires are in good shape. If your having a rough ride, I would make sure those are all in good working order.

Drilled will break with hard braking or with average braking over time. Slotted is seeming to be the way to go nowadays, I think because they let heat out in the same amount, but do it over a wider surface area for less weakness.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I thought that drilled helps with brake dust too. That is really the only reason I get them. If so I may go with dimpled instead of drilled on this new GB.

As for the ride. AIRRIDE = the worst ride ever unless you spend tons of cash on an amazing kit. I think you want a little bit tougher spring zoned, try the eibach pro kit. That is one of the better kits around, pretty stiff for those tight turns, but may give you a rough ride on a bumpy street.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:15 PM

ride quality better, as in comfort?? .... just get kyb gr2's with your stock springs.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Dimpled does the same as slotted thats why I'm just going with slotted and dimpled.

Now about air ride. Do you guys remember my first tib ( yes i've gone through 2 so far im on 3 ). It was white, and I bought an air ride system from a friends shop for a good deal. I forget the actuall name of the brand but it was very very well known for quality. Air ride was very soft ride, or hard depending on what setting I wanted to choose with the system ( which I could do by remote in the car ). I decided to sell that tib because as I got older my taste changed. I was looking more into performance mods then rice mods. Air ride blows at handling once your over 80 miles an hour.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

My idea of a "good ride" is taking turns at 60+ and being "magnetically" held to your lane. No floaty-ness.

In this case^^ lowering or sport springs and some struts/new tires will improve "ride quality". But if you want your tib to feel like a Mercedes Benz CLsomething rather (whatever's luxurious...lol) then, ......well......we all want what we can't have.

I have heard of people doing that dynomax stuff all over the interior (floorboards, firewall, roof, trunk, doors, etc.) and it greatly improves ride quality by making high speeds more quiet. That's something I don't like about my ride, since we have shorter, more aggressive gearing the car is at a higher rpm at highway speeds (3,500 at 62mph) which means more vibrations and louder. That dynomax and similar stuff can help.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

sorry for the confusion about the ride quality. i was talking about comfort. comfort to me meaning that when your riding you can feel almost everything, every little bump feels like a pothole (i realize the rack+pin based steering makes this worse for the driver, but im talking overall). i would like something that feels smoother...like when you ride in a new minivan, you can't even feel the road. not saying that is better, just something to compare it to. i like the smooth feeling.

i read in a previous post (while searching this topic) that someone put the kyb struts and eibach springs on and said the ride was a lot "better" (was the term they used) than stock (so i was assuming they were talking about comfort, but they probably were not)

anyway, so there really isn't much you can add to make the ride softer (without sacrificing performance somewhere)?

so slotted are better, i wasn't aware that drilled will crack (thought it was rare for that to happen). is the braking greatly improved with just slotted only compared to OEM?

thanks