Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

2 questions

Old 12-06-2001 | 01:44 AM

Default 2 questions

how come no one gets coilovers? am i missing something are they thought to be bad or people just dont care to spend that much.

second is what tires are known for the best grip?
Old 12-06-2001 | 01:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

As far as coil overs go....there really are not too many companies out there that make them. Weapon R makes Sleev Coil Overs for Accents, but everyone that has them, said they're junk and the ride quality is horrible. KORE has coil overs...but I'm not sure on what the status is on them. As far as TRUE coil overs go, there's some companies in Korea that make them for the Tib and I believe Apex makes some too. But they're pretty expensive to buy.

As far as the best tire for grip...SLICKS! *ha ha* Well..for the drag strip anyway. As far as street use goes..it's all more or less personal taste on what tires you like and don't like. Nitto and a few other companies have street legal tires that are similiar to slicks...just not as grippy and illegal. *lol* They are pricey though.
Old 12-06-2001 | 02:46 AM

I plan on getting coilovers. I just am not to that point in my long-term plan for the car yet. Funding is a little tight at the moment, as well.
Old 12-06-2001 | 03:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

I was going to get the coilovers from hve(major $) but i can't exactly figure out how they work. I'm not sure if they click into position(example drop 1 = 1.5",etc..) or are they like a thread type thing where you do it by eyeing it. If this is the case then your car will be uneven and probably cause tire wear. My second problem is you would have to get your car realigned every time you changed it.

Let me know if i am way off base.

Thanks
JD
Old 12-06-2001 | 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You are not WAY off, but not quite on either.

With typical "threaded" coilovers, you have a reference point marked on all the coilovers when the car is setup. You then know 5 full turns on each coilover will put the car back at level, just that much higher or lower.

You don't need a realighment after raising or lowering your car...but the camber will probably be off, but You would lower it for drag racing or autocross, then raise it back up for street driving, so you would not be at the bad camber settings for long.
Old 12-06-2001 | 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

BTW...my car goes in on Tuesday to have a set of custom coilovers fitted.. Hopefully Shark Racing will be carrying them.

Photos and details will go up next week.
Old 12-06-2001 | 05:36 AM

Random gets all the cool toys. tongue.gif
Old 12-06-2001 | 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by DESIGN:
Random gets all the cool toys. tongue.gif

Random shells out his hard earned Scrilla($$$) for the toys!
Old 12-06-2001 | 06:08 AM

random how did you know they were lookin to make coilovers did they contact you or did you ask them to do it
Old 12-06-2001 | 06:11 AM

so what everyone is sayin about the tires is i shouldnt look for what ones were on the cars with the highest g's on the umm skid pad i guess i forget what the test is called at the moment but the one where you see how long and fast your car can hold on before sliding out i prolly confused everyone