Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

80% Sure I'm Buying It.

Old 07-16-2007 | 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 1999 hyundai tiburon

speakin from experience (ive worked at a shop that specializes in VeeDubs and i was originally looking for a MKII golf before i buaght the tiburon) to learn how to work on cars better VW isnt a good choice, they are built completely different from most other cars, so basicly youll only know how to work on VW's audi's and other VW manufatured cars.
Old 07-16-2007 | 03:14 PM
Nex

^^

i agree, yes cars all work the same when it comes to the mechanical aspects, but all the electrical stuff varies, and the layout of stuff is also quite different. VW are exceptionally different when it comes to how the engines work.

I think Germany wants to mess with US... if you dont know what i mean check out some info on the new rabbit something about 5 cyls... lol
Old 07-16-2007 | 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

^ GM uses 5 cyl as well.
Old 07-24-2007 | 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^^^So did Honda and Acura.
Old 07-24-2007 | 08:22 PM

QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jul 16 2007, 04:58 AM)
I've decided that I wanted to fix cars; but more in-depth. I only know how to do simple repairs and maintenance, and the Tiburon is in too good of shape for trusting myself in doing any advanced repairs if it needed one.

You will be doing nothing but "advanced repairs", because a lot of things are different on a Vdub, for instance there are no lugnuts, and the pressure plate is installed backwards, also the CV shafts require a ridiculus key and are screwed into the output shafts... mad.gif

DONT BUY THAT CAR!

Let me tell you, nothing but problems. I had one, and Spikie too. Spikie's never ran properly. Bearings failed, there were holes in the floorboards (big ones), fuel pump failed twice (the car came with 3 extra fuel pumps) tons of electrical issues, the CV shaft fell apart, brakes failed....

Don't expect to drive it reliably.

Watch out for thermostats and overheating!

/Jed
Old 07-24-2007 | 08:31 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

vw's are totally reversed from our cars. i love your approach, i say get an old '96 elantra or tiburon and leave it in your driveway without tags.

cool stuff, i'd love to get my hands dirty but playing mechanic is pointless nowadays because everything is hard to take apart and all computers. it's becoming more of a challenge.
Old 07-24-2007 | 08:48 PM

BTW that was Jed posting. I say if you're just out to learn, and don't intend on driving it, go for it.